Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Defrag interrupted and canceled

• Please log in to reply

dumpling

dumpling

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I was running the defrag on XP when at 23% the following error message pops up:

The scan has been canceled because an error occurred in file:
c/windows/system32/DLLCACHE/LOGUI.OCX

I had a similar message before which Keith (many thanks) helped me with. I have just installed the new driver for my nvidia thingy (as suggested by Keith, many thanks, no more messages on log in) which I am not sure if this affected the defrag.

I use outlook to check my mail and I get the following message:

The instruction at ox77f8336f referenced memory at "Ox00924608". The memory could not be "written". Click ok to terminate the programme.

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me as I really want to defrag my hard drive. Many thanks in advance.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type fsutil dirty query c: (This queries the drive and will tell you if it is dirty or clean)

Let me know what it reports.

dumpling

dumpling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
wow, that's a quick response.

The message is: volume - c: is dirty

Should I be worried? what do I need to do? Many thanks.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
ahh, it is dirty!! You need some soap and water to clean it! Just kidding :whistling:

no big deal, let's fix it. Only thing is the fix will take about an hour or 2, but it is automatic. All you have to do is leave it for the time it is working on the fix.

This next step will unset the Dirty Bit.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r c: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query c:, press "Enter", and Windows should confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Let me know what it says. And also try your Defragment again and let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 August 2006 - 11:39 AM.

dumpling

dumpling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks computerwiz will try it...I don't mean the soap and water bit...errr not unless I'm after a nasty surprise :blink:

Daft question but thought i'd check before trying it, do I just type this: chkdsk /f /r c: in once only and then y at the prompt? :whistling:

Thanks.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
you will type chkdsk /f /r c: and then after you press enter, it is going to ask you do you want to do it after you restart your computer, and then you tell it "y" for yes.

Afterwords, you have to restart your computer for the fixing to begin, which takes about an hour or two. This will almost definatly fix your defragment problem, since defragment cannot run when your drive is "dirty". But I'm not sure about your other problem, the memory referance problem. You can try that after too.

As for what this "dirty" bit thing means...it is rather complicated. But if you want to know what it means, I can give you a link. :whistling: I prefer to just tell people their computer is in need of a good "cleanning" :blink:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 August 2006 - 11:56 AM.

dumpling

dumpling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks computerwiz, will try it and let you know how it goes.

Its ok, cleaning is good enough for me. :whistling:

dumpling

dumpling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Just finished everything, defrag now works and I didn't get any messages when I closed outlook, so my hard drive must now be spanking clean. Thanks ever so computerwiz.

I was so happy it worked that I had to do a little dance afterwards! :whistling:

dumpling

dumpling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
forgot to say computerwiz, I checked again and it says volume c is NOT dirty, thanks again.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
You're welcome! Glad I could help :whistling: