Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Add or Remove Programs fails to start

• Please log in to reply

nrgeti

nrgeti

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I was having problems installing programs so I downloaded the Windows Installer and reinstalled it. Now when I go to the Control Panel and click on Add or Remove Programs, nothing happens.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Before we try anything, please create a restore point. To create a system restore point, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Call the restore point "Dial-a-Fix".

Now, download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

Look at the middle-left section called MSI. Click on the box called Fix Windows Installer and make sure all of its sub-boxes are checked too.

Now, at the bottom-left corner, click on GO.

Restart your computer.

This procedure doesn't always work, but it performs almost all the same complicated procedures that you would have to do manually.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 August 2006 - 11:34 AM.