Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems started with itunes

• Please log in to reply

POC Computer

POC Computer

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I tried to download the latest version of itunes, but part way through the process the "windows blue screen of death" as I call it popped up. :blink:

It said that something might be wrong with my hard drive. :whistling:

Ever since then all my other programs are running slowly and when I tried and play songs from my itunes library the skip like a cd that's been scrathed too much.

I've run ad-aware, spybot, and ewido scans and have found nothing unusual.....

Please help, I need my music :help:

THANKS!!!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
That doesn't sound good. :whistling:

Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Here you go!

By the way....Thanks for the amazingly fast response! :whistling:

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot1.JPG
  • screenshot2.JPG

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Your hard drive is fine, but your CPU usage is through the roof! Let's find out what is causing that...

Download Process Explorer from Sysinternals
http://www.sysintern...ssexplorer.html

Extract and run it. Go to VIEW > SHOW Fractional CPU usage
Make sure it is checked.

Take a screenshot, just like you did for SpeedFan

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
here you go!

Do you think this might have been caused by a virus?

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Looks like it was just a coincidence that the CPU usage was 100% when you did the SpeedFan screenshot.

Try updating your ITunes again (you said it gave you a blue screen). and if it gives you that blue screen again, write down what it says and post that. Or, if it gives you any other kind of error, write that down too and post it.

As for being caused by a virus, I doubt it, but we can check it out if the error message (if it happens again) doesn't give me any clue as to what is going on.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Okay it didn't work. The message reads roughly as follows:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

kernel_data_inpage_error

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screenm restart your computer. If this screen appears again, gollow these steps:

(Then it tells me to check any new hardware or software, etc)

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007A (0xC07C17F8, 0xC000000E, 0xF82FF642, 0x11314860)
*** ftdisk.sys - address F82FF642 base at F82F5000, Datestamp 3b7d8419

Beginning dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete."

(And that's basically the jist of what it said. I don't understand a word of it, but I know it doesn't sound good! :whistling: )

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Here's what I find:

The Stop 0x7A message indicates that a page of kernel data was not found in the paging (virtual memory) file and could not be read into memory. This might be due to incompatible disk or controller drivers, firmware, or hardware.

So...it may take a while to get it solved, but it is definately solvable. And it is not a catastrophic problem, but it is always a good idea to backup your data when things like this occur.

So, while I research that file in the error (ftdisk.sys), backup all your important data. Let me know when you are ready to procede, or if you need advice on backing up data.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
One thing I did find is to run chkdsk. It will take an hour to two to run, so make sure you don't need your computer for that time.

Go to Start, Run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally, then the monitor will show progress of the scan, rather than going to Windows. Do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
what should I back up and how?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You should back up any pictures, music, movies, or documents that you have on your computer.

Do you have a CD burner? If so, you can use that to burn your data to it.

If you need further info, or don't have a CD burner, let me know. Otherwise, backup your data and continue with my instructions on using chkdsk.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
So I ran the scan.....but I'm not sure it finished because when I came back a few hours later my computer was off.

I don't know if this was supposed to happen or if my computer shut down from lack of use.

Either way I'm not sure what to do next....

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Do what you did before, the thing that caused the blue screen, and see if it happens again.

If so, compare the message to the one you gave me earlier. If it is different, write it down and let me know. If it is the same, you don't have to write it, but just let me know.

chkdsk should not have shut down your computer, so if you get the BSOD again, try running chkdsk again, this time stopping by your computer every 15 minutes to see what it is up to.

Let me know how it goes.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
your stop error 0x0000007a is drivers for your printer
what kinda printer you have the drivers can be located an downloaded

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
My printer is just a basic Dell one that came with my laptop.

The download of itunes completed successfully; however, when I minimize the itunes window, the music still skips and comes out garbled. :whistling:

What should I do next?