Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memory issues

• Please log in to reply

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
hey, i dont even know what type of memory my computer has, i bought it second hand...

i do know however that i only have 128mb of ram, and that its not enough, because im getting error messages that tell me that there is not enough virtual memory to complete all requests, and different programs will shut down. I do plan on buying at least a gig of ram, but until i can afford it, can someone please point me to a tutorial or something that will help me use my memory more sparingly?

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well first of all you might not be able to upgrade to 1 gig of RAM your computer might not be able to handle it

can you download and install THIS program

it will tell you everything about your computer

how old is the computer? and do you no if it was built or is it a pre-built system for example a Dell or a HP or somehting similar???

in the program i gave you go to motherboard and see what model it is then use this crucial website to see what RAM is compatable with your pc. also in the same program you can also see what RAM you have installed and what speed its running at by going to motherboard--->SPD it will tell you what is installed

troppo

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I recommend going to crucial.com and put in your model number and they will tell you what type and how much your machine will handle.... if it is a generic computer you will need to look at the motherboard to see if you see a model/brand....

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
I have no idea how old the computer is, and i believe that it was a pre-built. Its a Sony Vio, (PC not laptop)...

im going to attach a section of the report from the everest program you pointed me to, but it does say that i can use either DIMM, or SDRAM for memory, and that the maximum amount of memory is 512 MB. I was told that there was only 128MB of ram on it by the previously owner and just took his word for it... :whistling: .

I intend on using this computer for my audio-recording programs, and it just will need a lot more memory to run those, so does that mean i will need a new motherboard to be able to support more RAM? If so, could you point me to a site that has good deals on motherboards and maybe a price range on how much it would cost to do that?

thank you

*note, i went to crucial.com but i dont know exactly what model my computer is...*

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well sorry to say but if your wanting to do audio recording i would suggest buying a new computer all together from what i hear they are pretty demanding on a system (i could be wrong)

but the chance is if you cant add more than 512Mb of RAM you will struggle to find a compatable motherboard these days...

you might nto be able to change the motherboard

i cant find any info on your motherboard because it is so old

but yes you do have 128Mb installed but the bad news is is that its SDRAM and you probably wont be able to install more than 512Mb if your lucky it mioght only be able to go up to 256Mb (i found out by looking under motherboard---> system memory and it only says 256Mb)

so what i figure is that you have 128Mb installed and your system can only handel a maximum of 256Mb of SDRAM running at the speed of PC100

i would seriuosly not even bother with it i would save up and buy a new system it doesnt have to be the greatest but it will be far better than what you have now

im guessing by teh specs of this computer that it is really old say around the 5-10 year mark

if your interested in building a new system we all here can help you with that

sorry to be the bearer of bad news

troppo

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
well, id say your about right with how old the computer is troppo. lol... shes ancient

and you are probably right, i SHOULD save and get a new one, i just have to find the money to save :whistling:

but thanks for your help, and hopefully when i get the money ill end up back in this section of g2g to ask for help again ^.^

thanks again

-Silenced Message

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
No worries!!!

its my pleasure :whistling:

when your ready to build let us no wand we will help you to the best of our abilities

troppo