Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wininet.dll error

• Please log in to reply

zooger

zooger

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Problem: After I log on to my computer, an error message window appears stating: "This application has failed to start because wininet.dll was not found, re-installing the application may fix this problem. After clicking ok I get a blank desk top. I can bring up the task manager ™ by using ctrl+alt+Delete. TM does not have any applications running. I can bring up a MSDOS window by holding down the Ctrl key while clicking on New Task from the File menu.

Steps taken: I have done a few internet searches and most solutions involve deleting the corrupted wininet.dll file and replacing it with a clean copy from c:\Windows\System32\dllcache directory and then running spyware/adware software to clean up the system.

My problem is I can not delete the corrupted wininet.dll fill from the C:\Windows\System32 directory. From the MSDOS window when I try to del wininet.dll the computer returns a "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)". The computer returns the same if I try to delete, copy, rename or move this file.

I have tried disabling all from the startup and restarting my computer. No change same wininet.dll error.

zooger

Advertisements

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi Zooger,

Have you tried overwriting the corrupted wininet.dll with the new one? ( :blink: I'm a little unsure on exactly what you meant by copy.)

Unfortunately there are a few trojans out that can corrupt the wininet.dll.
Take a look at this story wininetdll was not found. Its not quite the same story, but its still very similar.
So you see... As far as wininet.dll goes,

"Windows can’t work without it."

Here is a solution for 'The application has failed to start because wininet.dll was not found'

If you are able to recover from this, then you should go to Trend Micro Housecall.
Also, Do you have antivirus software running? If not, you should definately get some.
There is heaps of info in the Malware Forum.
After that, maybe you should post a HiJackThis Log just to make sure everything is clean.

Goodluck :whistling:
Willow

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Just a thought and someone correct me if I am wrong but if it is a file that one just copies form windows replacing the corrupted one, then surely it would be simplier to do a repair with the XP cd

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

Edited by fleamailman, 29 August 2006 - 05:04 AM.