Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB hard drive

• Please log in to reply

thoughtsurfer

thoughtsurfer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've just bought an external hard drive (Sabrent USB to SATA & IDE) and my computer won't recognize it.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Have you tried other USB ports on your computer, just to make sure?

Make sure all the connections on the external drive are ok?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If the HD is not formatted then windows will not see it.If you can find out what the drive is you can use the drive makers utilities to format the drive so windows can see it. WD has the data lifeguard tools, Maxtor has the maxblast software, Seagate uses Seatools, etc. They all have utilities for this.

SRX660

thoughtsurfer

thoughtsurfer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah. All the ports have been tried. The machine is making a sound of recognition when I plug in. But, nothing is connecting in my computer. All my USB ports work, because I use them with the printer and flash cards.

thoughtsurfer

thoughtsurfer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It did come with a driver disk. When I hit setup on it, it tells me that it's already installed.

negative_silent

negative_silent

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Did you buy the external HD (as a whole) or did you buy a HD and a external enclosure and install it?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I would plug it in and power it on.
Then go Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management and see if it recognizes it there.

If it doesn then right click and format.