Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor is wavy and distorted

• Please log in to reply

kdog

kdog

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all,

I'm new here and this is my first post...

I sought this board out by doing a google search for computer help...

Here is my problem: Everything on my computer monitor is wavy and distorted. It started by doing this just once in a while and then clearing up. Now it is doing it all the time.

The only time it is not doing it, is when I log on to play the game "Call od Duty II". Then the screen is perfectly normal and clear.

The monitor is fairly new (less than a year) so I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Can any of you suggest what could be causing this problem?

Also, I may have some spy-ware or virus as I hear strange things every once in a while (like crickerts, birds, ect.) I don't have a clue from where these sounds are coming from?

Thanks for any help!

Kdog

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Not really my thing but lets look to see if somehow there is a driver problem, on your keyboard:

press: winkey + r
type: devmgmt.msc
press: enter
see if there is a yellow blob over the monitor sybol or more likely the graphics card.

If there is it means that the driver has been lost for it, get the CD that probably came with the card insert in comp then, righthand click the icon in the devmgmt.cpl with the yellow blob, go for uninstall, then above on the window click search for new material and when prompted put the search request to the cd rom where it will load the driver hopefully.

Hope this work out for you.

kdog

kdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
What is the "winkey" key?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sorry, the button on the keyboard that has the windows symbol.
(The runbox "winkey + r" is for someone who does this command twice since once entered into the box, it remembers it without your having to type it again, great for quick navigation through ones comp.)
Or you could just do it the long way. click: start>contral panel>system>device manager

Edited by fleamailman, 29 August 2006 - 11:53 PM.

kdog

kdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey, you learn something new everyday!

Thanks for the help... I'll give it a try and report back!

By the way, I've never even noticed the key with windows on it before...

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Very useful key when understood. A link for you then.

http://forum.compute...opic.php?t=4074

kdog

kdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello again Fleamailman,

I did as instructed but saw no yellow blob over either! While at it, I did system restore, started up in safe mode, but still no help.

It's very strange as the screen is perfectly clear until it restarts to the user log in page. Then the screen starts shaking/vibrating/waving. The only other time its normal is when I play "Call of Duty II". When in AOL, MSN, ect... they are all shakey...