Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking home computers / File Sharing

• Please log in to reply

bushygoose

bushygoose

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I just setup a wireless network connection from my desktop to my notebook but I have hit a snag. I am trying to network them together so that file sharing can occur. When I use the wireless network wizard, it tells me to insert my flash drive so that it can save the configuration to be loaded on the other computer. But the one step in between putting the flash drive from my desktop to notebook is to plug the flash drive into my router. There is no USB port on my router. I have tried everything I can think of from connecting the two computer through an ethernet cable to create a network, to creating a home office network. I am out of suggestions. If anyone can assist me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am running windows XP on both systems. My router is a linksys.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Both computers are on therouter right? Well, pick a computer, and move items you want accessable to your "Shared Folder". Right-click on that folder and click on Share. You should now be able to access this folder from the other computer, right?

bushygoose

bushygoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I dont want to have a shared folder and move items back and fourth. I want to be able to share out an entire drive (map out a network drive). In an office setting where you have a server, you map out the drives out on each computer so that everyone can see the same information. The information only on the server can be viewed. Thats what I want to create between my laptop and desktop. I want my desktop to act like the server and my laptop to pull information off of it. IS there a way to do this?