Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista pre-RC1 ISO file for 100,000 downloads only

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Apparently

Note: After downloading, you will need to obtain a Product Key from this Windows Website.

http://www.microsoft...dy/preview.mspx

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
So you've got it running yet keith?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's gone to 643kbps with 46 minutes to go but there are other PC's on this connection

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
click the first link. it now says closed. I'm still downloading, hopefully im still in!!!!

Edited by sarahw, 29 August 2006 - 07:34 AM.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Apparently

Note: After downloading, you will need to obtain a Product Key from this Windows Website.

http://www.microsoft...dy/preview.mspx

I can't find anything on this site about obtaining a Key for Vista. I already have a key from Vista Beta 2, Will this work?

am i missing something? that file comes up as 907 bytes...can't be right?

Mine is 2.6GB (2,771,730,432 bytes)

i just hit 25%, I'm downloading at 64kbps. :whistling: Not good for 8Mbps cable

I am Downloading at around 190-200 KB/s and I have a 2MB connection.

I am currently using Opera Browser to Download Vista and used this to download the beta 2 and downloading beta 2 took me about 3 hours. I have found tht opera works great for downloading.

Edited by CJIS, 29 August 2006 - 07:39 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Cannot see anything about the key, perhaps it says something during the install??

Big download, hope my PII 300mhz likes it

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Cannot see anything about the key, perhaps it says something during the install??

Big download, hope my PII 300mhz likes it

I hope so, When i have finished downloading I Will try and use my Vista beta 2 Key, if this works I will let everyone know.

Was this download only released today? If so maybe they just haven't updated that page yet.

Edited by CJIS, 29 August 2006 - 07:44 AM.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
burning......
(and I wanted to go to bed)

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Thanks! I'm glad I got if before the download limit. :blink:

I just saw it at 186 kbps - one of the fastest sustained times I've seen for me at least. Usually dls start at around 800 and go down to 158 kbps. :whistling:

Edit: Are we allowed to keep the installation of the older Vista beta and this one with the same key? I use VMWare player and would like to compare the two if I get some time...

Edited by Pi rules, 29 August 2006 - 08:18 AM.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
It seems to be running OK for me, the lowest it has been is 134 KB/s and that is while im browsing the web too the highest I have had is 235 KB/s (still browsing web). I am using opera for downloading and browsing and it seems to run fine. I can stop the download and then restart where I left off so if something does go wrong I can just resume it.

Edited by CJIS, 29 August 2006 - 08:20 AM.

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Well I burnt it, ran it, nothing. I don't know what I did wrong, but oh well.... (I'm to tired anyway)

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
440kbps. 40 minutes to go. I can't wait for it, too bad there's no option for upgrading from beta 2. Also it's the PRe-RC1, so how long is the wait until RC1? cause if it's less than a month... than it's really not worth it.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Yeah, it doesn't seem worth it right now for a pre rc1. I might just wait for the full release, i really can't be bothered with it. Let us know if you get it to work though.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
maybe it isn't worth it but for those of us who are still using Beta 2 (ME), It is a good chance. I really need a newer build. I will let everone know if it works though.

Edited by CJIS, 29 August 2006 - 08:42 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
DVD burning instructions
After completing the download, you will need to burn the ISO file to a DVD. This means you’ll need a DVD burner with appropriate software. If you are unsure if your DVD burning software will support burning an ISO file, please refer to your DVD burning software program and search “Help” for instructions on creating a disc from an ISO file. If you are still unsure about burning your own DVD, ordering the Windows Vista Beta 2 DVD kit might be a better option for you. :whistling:

Here’s a summary of how to download, burn, and install Windows Vista Beta 2:

Download the ISO image file from the location indicated in the e-mail message you receive after registering, and save the file to your hard disk. (If the download prematurely terminates you can resume the download process from where you left off using the download manager.)
Using a DVD burner and software, burn the ISO image of Windows Vista Beta 2 to a new blank DVD. We recommend burning at the lowest speed supported by your DVD burner (1X or 2X) to ensure the highest quality. Most DVD burning software will recognize an ISO file. If your software does not automatically recognize this format, refer to the software’s “Help” section for instructions.
Insert the DVD on which you burned the software into the DVD drive of the computer on which you want to install Windows Vista Beta 2.
The installation process should start automatically. If it does not, run Setup from the DVD to begin installation and follow the step-by-step instructions that appear on the screen.