Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista pre-RC1 ISO file for 100,000 downloads only

• Please log in to reply

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

The one thing I really am having a problem with is Virus Protection, I can't find ANY, I tried Avast and I can install it but then I get a compatability issue message. So I uninstalled that and tried AVG, well this was a good experience, I got a BSOD even before the installation had finished. The one that Microsoft says I should Install (Trend Micro PCCillin) does not work. It starts to install and then gets to Installing Firewall and then crashes and gets no further. So i currently have no Virus protection. As for a firewall the built in Windows Firewall has finally been changed and finally does its job the way a firewall Should (I don't know if this was true in previous builds), in beta 2 and Windows XP the firewall was set to close all ports. Whereas in this build (and maybe builds before) the ports are set to stealth mode. [color=#3333ff]Check [b]your firewall

This was my experience as well. I tried installing McAfee Enterprise and halfway through the installation I got the BSOD.

I haven't tried my copy of Symantec AV/Firewall or AVG.

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Please let me know if you get any software that does work.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
I have tried AVG and got a BSOD, I have tried Avast which now has compatibility issues. I have tried a few firewalls but none that actually work yet.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Trend Micro's beta AV works...
http://www.microsoft...vistabeta2.mspx

Media Center probably still has the most work to be done.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Trend Micro's beta AV works...
http://www.microsoft...vistabeta2.mspx

Media Center probably still has the most work to be done.

Have you actually got this running on 5536 Because mine got stuck on 'Installing Firewall' and would not go any further. I would just like to know before actually attempting to install and whether it was just a small problem. I have re-downloaded the file to make sure something hadn't happened during download.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Installed without a hitch. I found the link in a Microsoft newsgroup where others had success too. It's the only one working with RC1 as far as I know. AVG is working on an update, and I'm sure Avast probably is too.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Installed without a hitch. I found the link in a Microsoft newsgroup where others had success too. It's the only one working with RC1 as far as I know. AVG is working on an update, and I'm sure Avast probably is too.

Good to hear you got it working. I have now successfully installed Trend Micro PC-Cillin but had to use the minimal setting so it wouldn't install the firewall, and I will just use the Windows firewall for now.

Microsft Windows Pre-RC1 downloads have now been stopped due to the 100,000 download limit reached.

Edited by CJIS, 01 September 2006 - 08:42 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
RC1 now available to everyone:
http://www.microsoft...dy/preview.mspx

Download link:
http://download.wind...en/download.htm

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does this affect those without the product key?

The final major pre-release of Windows Vista—Release Candidate 1 (RC1)—is now available for priority access by Customer Preview Program (CPP) participants only. If you registered for this program in June, please look for a recent e-mail message from Microsoft (sent in early September) with information regarding RC1. If you are not registered but would like to receive Windows Vista RC1, the CPP will open to new participants in the coming weeks. Please check this site periodically for updates.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Looks like those without products keys will have to wait a couple of more weeks. Since 100,000 downloaded Beta2, I guess they want to give them first shot at upgrading.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Thanks for the info, I didn't even have time to install the last version that I downloaded because of school & work. :whistling: I think I should have time this weekend, though. :blink:

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I love rc1, even thou i didn't get an email for the dld link i still got it and used my beta 2 keys and they worked fine. It's a lot quicker and cleaner, and no need to hunt for drivers anymore. It's getting close to the final release stage.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

I love rc1, even thou i didn't get an email for the dld link i still got it and used my beta 2 keys and they worked fine. It's a lot quicker and cleaner, and no need to hunt for drivers anymore. It's getting close to the final release stage.

This is exactly right, I think Windows Vista is nearing RTM and at the moment I am using it as my ONLY OS.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Vista RC1 keys are available to everyone now:
http://www.microsoft...dy/preview.mspx

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Can someone please help me. When i use the Akamai Downloader it says
"Could Not find the requested File on the server.
Contact the author of the page that contains the link.
This download will be canceled."

And i can'y download it with my browser cause when i go to that page it says "Thank you for your interest in Windows Vista.
Access to this file is restricted to Customer Preview Program participants only. Please refer to your invitation email for access instructions." I am in the CPP cause i have a cd key. Its annoying if anyone knows why i can't use the Akamai downloader and/or why i cant use my browser.