Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Update Problem - Missing Files

• Please log in to reply

barmcm

barmcm

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When I try to install the Security Updates from Windows Update, I get failed beside everyone of them. My "Automatic Updates" screen is greyed out as well. I cannot turn it on. I have tried to fix it using solutions on sites such as yours but with no success.

I was told to run sfc /scannow and when I ran it it said "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD now". I ordered it from Microsoft and re-ran sfc /scannow.
When I put the CD in it says "The CD you provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the Windows Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD into your CD ROM.
It gave me the option of re-installing SP 2 which I tried to do but it says "Installing SP2 - extracting files to Directory : a4b65e1392a70866a3353672df" then "Can't find file I386/update/update.exe"

Is it possible that I am missing this file and that is why the Security Updates are failing and my Automatic Updates screen is greyed out? I can't run "regedit.exe" either so it may be missing.
Do I have to go back to where I bought the computer and get the Operating System re-installed or do you knoe of some other solution.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to your control panel click on your folder and file types see if you see a file like this

EXE

if not click new type in .EXE look in advanced same thing there but it should applications on the drop menu
click ok to close all windows then restart

after you restat see if your command will work meaning you run go start click run

Edited by rushin1nd, 29 August 2006 - 10:26 AM.

barmcm

barmcm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
rushin1nd, I did what you said and now I've got new troubles.
There was no EXE so I did NEW and typed it in. What do I associate it with?
None of the ICONS on my desktop work now.

HELP

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
There should be no file type association for EXE files, so please go and remove the association you made for it and then reboot your computer. Also, when you go to Windows Update, and it failes, what is the error code it giives? It should look something like 0x800A138F.

Fenor

barmcm

barmcm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm not on my home computer so I don't have the exact error code but it's the one like 0x80070002

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
sorry but it was supose to restore your run but guess the other issue you have are more complex but i got some info on that error code

Customer receives error 0x80070002 when trying to access the site

This is an intermittent error that appears from time to time. The most likely cause of this error is intermittent network connectivity. The Internet is a dynamic network and sometimes it takes more than one attempt for communications to succeed. Based on our experience, most customers who encounter this error only see it for a short period of time and then the error goes away and the Windows Update site functions normally.

We have also seen this error when some Windows 2000 SP3 customers choose to archive old files. After the archive the old versions of the Windows Update control files stay in place and they get the 80070002 error. The control files IUENGINE.DLL and IUCTL.DLL, both located in C:\Windows\System32, should be reviewed for date and version to troubleshoot.

fenor will be your guide your missing some serious files but he can tune you up

barmcm

barmcm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your help Rushin1nd. Hopefully Fenor can help me out.
As far as the updates go, I've tried numerous times over the last 2 months trying to get the updates with no success. I'm wondering now if it's because I'm missing that "update.exe" file.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well its definitely because of that file update.exe
its a large file but your in good hands here

good luck

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Let's make sure you have SP2 installed to begin with. Right click MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES. In the new window that pops up, list everything that is shown under the heading SYSTEM.

barmcm

barmcm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It says Windows Home Edition, Version 2002, Service pack 2, registered to et. etc.