Windows Error Screen
Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:42 PM
Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:00 AM
Okay. The main problem is that there is so much information available at the internet but nothing conclusive. Many people have more or less the same problem it seems but there is not one solution available.
The most informative site on mup.sys and its related problems I have found is this one! All posts during 3,5 years in one thread.
Next to that one I have gone through some 50 sites and came to the conclusion that in 50% of the cases Mup.sys-problems appear to be a hardware problem. It's also obvious that mup.sys on its own is not the problem but it simply is the last thing you see. People removing mup.sys got viaagp.sys in the message etc.
I suggest you go through the above thread and see if there are posts which are similar to yours. Personally I think it's worth trying to:
1. If you have recently installed any new hardware devices you may want to remove the device and see if Windows will load;
2. Unplug your computer, take out the motherboard battery and leave it out for a while (> 30'), put the battery in again and see if you can boot now;
3. Assuming you have XP installed to 'c:\windows'.*Boot from the XP-setup cd and start the recovery console.
*Log in with your admin-account.
ren system system.bak
copy system c:\windows\system32\config
Try to reboot the computer and hopefully XP will start normally. It will install some
of the drivers of the newly detected hardware automatically. For other drivers you
need to tell Windows to search for them (no need to go online, though) or provide
the drivers yourself;
4. Boot off the windows cd, load the recovery console. At the prompt typ chkdsk and hit enter. If any hard disk errors are found the chkdsk utility fixes them automatically. Restart the computer.
5. Post in the Hardware Components and Peripherals form and ask for help from specialised people.
When your system is up and running again post in this forum and ask for your thread to be re-opened.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users