Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winxp wont' stay connected

• Please log in to reply

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
windows xp home sp2 P4 3 ghz 512 mb ram ( some shared with video) brand new system will not stay connected to the internet. The connection is a local dial-up connection and before you say anything it's not staying connected for more than a few minutes.... If you connect and then start internet explorer it says you need to connect first even if you are already connected.... it will then work for a few minutes usually then disconnect...... Tried the same connection on different computers and they work fine..... even tried a different dialup service and it does the same thing on this computer.... I have replaced the modem with an identical model same thing.... ran a virus from an updated cd and that came back with nothing.... won't stay connected long enough to run an online scanner...

any ideas what could be going on here? oh modem is an intel 536EP

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the connection, click properties, look for auto disconnect

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Right click the connection, click properties, look for auto disconnect

Nope nothing. What I have discovered is that internet explorer defaults to "work offline" and I can't find any way to change that.... Also it seems to work fine if hooked up to a hi-speed connection. I'm currently trying to find an updated driver for the modem to see if that is a problem....

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
The fix appears to have been to "upgrade" from the recent vendor provided driver to the older (2005) intel reference driver...

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Thanks for letting us know how you got the problem fixed.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Thanks for letting us know how you got the problem fixed.

No problem I know how frustrating it can be to put time into helping someone and they dont' let you know if they get it fixed.... oh and so far so good....