Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Updates

• Please log in to reply

David_H

David_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
The 3.1 installer shows on add/remove.

KB908531 shows on add/remove.

kb912812 does not show on add/remove.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
KB908531 shows on add/remove.

i was told by the moderators here to remove this patch they said it was causing problems

but none said what kind of problems

does all your settings in your internet options are they at there default

David_H

David_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
All the settings are at default. I reset them. No difference.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what kind of histroy is your windows xp are they a reinstallment

are they from a microsoft authentic xp cd just asking to clarify some things
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
try your http settings

Follow these instructions to enable the option:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. On the Advanced tab, clear the Use HTTP 1.1 check box.
4. Select the Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections check box.
5. Attempt to open the Windows Update site again.
6. If you are still experiencing this problem you can try selecting both the HTTP 1.1 check box and the HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections check box. This may resolve the issue.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if that dont work try this

First, check your Internet Explorer settings to make sure that they are configured correctly for the environment.
1. In Internet Explorer click "Tools," and then click "Internet Options."
2. Click "Security."
3. Click "Custom Level."
4. Make sure that "File Download" is enabled.
5. Make sure that "Run Active X controls and plug-ins" is enabled.
6. Make sure that "Active Scripting" is enabled.
7. Set your Java Permissions to "Medium safety."
8. Make sure that "Launching applications and files in an IFRAME" is enabled.

David_H

David_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Never been a reinstall here. The OS came pre-installed from Dell.

Tried both of your suggestions and neither works.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what type of firewall do have just wondering if thats the problem

David_H

David_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Only Windows.

I thought I had checked this before, but just to make sure, I went back and turned it off and tried the update again.

Same result. No update.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well what ever it is thats interfering with your installments is doing to good of a job but are you able to download and do other types of installing or is it just window updates when was the lastime you did a update

do you have microsoft office 2003 on your computer

ive asked for some assistant on this update post just waiting for a response from kieth

maybe someone else who has the same problem can shed some light on the subject

Edited by rushin1nd, 30 August 2006 - 11:42 AM.

David_H

David_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Other downloads seem to work fine.

The last recorded update is from last year. I've done some other downloads, identifying what I need with Microsoft's Baseline Security Analyzer.

Only the uploads feature for Windows does not work. (There may be other things, but I've not discovered them.)

I think it is not 2003, but 2002. How would I tell for sure? (Word & Works are in separate packs and there is no CD for Office.) Works label says it is 2002 and Word's About says it is also 2002.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
there maybe a possibilty why your updates are not being install

Microsoft's Baseline Security Analyzer.

MBSA 2.0 detects products that are currently supported by Microsoft Update, the central catalog of updates for Microsoft products. Microsoft Update replaces Windows Update. Windows Update only updates Microsoft Windows operating system products. Microsoft Update hosts the detection logic for MBSA 2.0 and other tools.

MBSA 1.2.1 and the Enterprise Update Scan Tool (EST) support several products that Microsoft Update may not support when MBSA 2.0 is released. If Microsoft Update does not provide a security update, we will provide users of MBSA 2.0 a way to detect the update. For more information about how to obtain and use the Enterprise Update Scan Tool, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
894193 (http://support.micro....com/kb/894193/) How to obtain and use the Enterprise Update Scan Tool
The MBSA 1.2 tool will be discontinued on March 31, 2006. After this date, MBSA 1.2.1 will no longer be supported and the MSSecure.xml file that is automatically downloaded by MBSA 1.2 will no longer be updated to include new security bulletins. We encourage you to migrate to MBSA 2.0 before this date to guarantee continued security bulletin detection

its been monitoring your computer for you

Edited by rushin1nd, 30 August 2006 - 01:18 PM.

Advertisements

David_H

David_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I only am using MBSA because it was suggested the last time I tried to solve this problem. If there is a way to delete it and go back to "straight" updates, I would be happy to do that. Problem was (and presumably still is) that "straight" updates didn't/don't work!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you ever changed your security like norton to mcafee or did you do a download a year ago im just speculating puzzled to whats causing this type of interruption with your install of windows updates

David_H

David_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I switched to commercial AVG in what I think was Feb, 2006. (I say that because my sub. runs out in Feb. 2008 and, I believe, I bought a two year sub.) This would be, I think, after I started to have the problem with Updates.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
im not familliar with avg but lets see you can check it out any way
in your AVG
can you check your privacy control it maybe in advance what were looking for but do you see a list of websites what im getting at is on that list do you see microsoft updates im thinking maybe you have to add updates to the list

it should be like this

windowsupdate.com

explore you avg and see if you can find something similar to what i mentioned up above

David_H

David_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I found no list.

It is virus software, not firewall.