Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem while partitioning

• Please log in to reply

chaos26

chaos26

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i tried to partition my computer today, and cancelled it...( now i know that was wrong)
i tried to repair using the windows cd, when it rebooted, an error showed up missing SYSCMNDR.SYS! Boot Error B-00

then listed 0-3 partitions and whenever i type a number in, it either wont work or it will tell me to restart...

also when i try to boot from the disk, i get a blue blank screen...

can someone plz help??

i have a hp pavilion dv5000 without a floppy disk if that helps...

also i went thru this tutorial

and i get stuck at the press any key to boot from disk...

Edited by chaos26, 29 August 2006 - 04:48 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi chaos26...

The following is from the manual for your HP model computer. Make sure that you have selected the cd-rom as first boot device in BIOS Setup (F10 at boot screen)

To reinstall the operating system using the Operating System disc included with the computer:

1. Plug the computer into external power through the AC adapter, and turn on the computer.
2. Immediately insert the Operating System disc into the computer.
3. Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds to turn off the computer.
4. Press the power button again to turn on the computer.
5. When prompted, press any key to start from the disc.
After a few minutes, you may need to select your language to enable the Setup Wizard to open.
6. Press Enter to continue.
A licensing agreement page is displayed.
7. Press F8 to accept the agreement and continue.
The "Setup" page is displayed.
8. Press Esc to continue installing a new copy of the operating system instead of repairing it.
9. Press Enter to set up the operating system.
10. Press C to continue setup using this partition.
11. Select Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick), and then press Enter.
CAUTION Formatting this drive deletes all current files.
12. Press F to format the drive.
The reinstallation process begins. This process may take up to 2 hours to complete. The computer restarts in Windows when the process is complete.

This is a slightly different procedure than the tutorial you followed earlier.

wannabe1

chaos26

chaos26

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi chaos26...

The following is from the manual for your HP model computer. Make sure that you have selected the cd-rom as first boot device in BIOS Setup (F10 at boot screen)

To reinstall the operating system using the Operating System disc included with the computer:

1. Plug the computer into external power through the AC adapter, and turn on the computer.
2. Immediately insert the Operating System disc into the computer.
3. Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds to turn off the computer.
4. Press the power button again to turn on the computer.
5. When prompted, press any key to start from the disc.
After a few minutes, you may need to select your language to enable the Setup Wizard to open.
6. Press Enter to continue.
A licensing agreement page is displayed.
7. Press F8 to accept the agreement and continue.
The "Setup" page is displayed.
8. Press Esc to continue installing a new copy of the operating system instead of repairing it.
9. Press Enter to set up the operating system.
10. Press C to continue setup using this partition.
11. Select Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick), and then press Enter.
CAUTION Formatting this drive deletes all current files.
12. Press F to format the drive.
The reinstallation process begins. This process may take up to 2 hours to complete. The computer restarts in Windows when the process is complete.

This is a slightly different procedure than the tutorial you followed earlier.

wannabe1

i get up to step 5 and then after i press anykey, the screen goes blank and nothing loads...