Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem downloading DirectX 9.0a (Error -5)

• Please log in to reply

redmans

redmans

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I currently am using DirectX 8.0 and not having any problems with it. But I just got the new Nero program, and it requires DirectX version 9.0a. When I try to install the DirectX program, it gets about 1/3 of the way through and then hangs up. After a while I get a message saying that the program hasn't passed Windows Logo testing. Another box comes up saying that it can't complete the DirectX installation and shows Error -5.

Any idea what's causing this and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!
Tony

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download the directx 9.0c redistributable instead

then install that

http://www.download....4-10305889.html

redmans

redmans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The program downloaded OK. When I tried to install it, it got up to "Installing Components. Searching for updated DirectX Runtime Components and updating as necessary. This may take a few minutes. Copying files." Then I waiting for the copying files gauge to fill up, but it never did. I checked on it a couple of hours later and got the message "The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP. This software will not be installed. Contact your system administrator." I clicked OK in the box, and another box came up saying "DirectX did not copy a required file".

Can you think of anything else I can try?

Thanks!
Tony

redmans

redmans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi! I hate to bump this up, but I'm still at a loss as to what to do to fix this. Does anybody here have any ideas? Do I need to reinstall (or repair) XP? Is there a way to figure out what file the program thinks is missing? Is there a way for my computer to realize that DirectX does pass Windows Logo testing?

Once again, thanks for any help you can provide.

Tony

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

Direct X Newsgroup