Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cmos/ bios

• Please log in to reply

petergiblin

petergiblin

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Having a lot of problems here, for some reason my computer won't turn on unless the cmos jumper is off. Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this as I can't boot up.

Computer was working without the cmos jumper on, it kept blue screening when it started to load XP.
Added cmos, still no luck
Cmos jumper broke, metal came out of plastic
Replaced cmos jumper
Now won't turn on with cmos jumper down

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sounds like the cmos jumper is supposed to be off in that case.
Most boards have 2 jumper positions (i.e pins 1-2 for normal, 2-3 for clear) but other boards only have the 2 pins. With these boards, the jumper is left off for normal operation & only placed over the pins when resetting the bios.

Whats more, if the clear cmos jumper is incorrectly set (i.e left in the 'clear' position) then the system simply won't boot at all. The blue screen errors you were getting in XP are more likely to be caused by faulty RAM