Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop CPU Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

jfaatz

jfaatz

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I bought this brand X laptop for my daughter five years ago for her school work. It's a nice little unit actually, I call it brand X because there is ABSOLUTELY NO support for it that I can find anywhere. It's a KDS 6370i. It is still a good unit and I am trying to upgrade the 700 mg P3 processor with a 1 gig P3 out of a slightly different KDS model. The motherboards are almost identical, I realize, however, a miss can be as good as a mile.
There are two motherboards. Board 1 is my daughters and is good, board 2 came with the 1 gig processor and is not good. The DIP switches on the two boards have different settings. The 1 gig processor runs just fine on the #1 motherboard only it is showing that it is running at 747 mg. If I set the DIP on board 1 to the board 2 settings, I get 996 mg recognized, but also vertical lines and bar code type distortion on the LCD. I have pretty much exhausted playing diddle d-twit with the DIP. I either get good performance with 700 or less mgs, or LCD distortion with 1 gig. The BIOS is Pheonix with no adjustments.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Might be a power thing laptops power schemes are finely balanced affairs it has just enough power output to run what you put in it right then if you mess with power requirements power meant for other things will need to go to the CPU, if the mobo models and chipsets are the same and the power supplies are the same it could be the bios power scheme settings which you probably cant access, if you are living on the edge so to speak you can take the risk and flash the slower CPU board with the bios of the faster one but youll need to find it or pull the chip and swap them out which is hard if not impossible on a lapper its not even something you want to try with a desktop.