Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator

• Please log in to reply

Alan M

Alan M

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi

My Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator is not working and I believe it is causing several other drivers to not work as well including the dvd and cd rom and a few audio controllers. From the device manager when I right click on properties I get this message under device status:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Any advice?

Thanks,
Alan

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Alan M...

Let's take a look at the upper and lower filters for this problem. Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

Alan M

Alan M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi wannabe1

UpperFilters are listed

Alan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on UpperFilters and choose "Delete". Accept the change and reboot. Do you get your drives back?

Alan M

Alan M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Nope, drives are still not working

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is the Enumerator installed? Open Device Manager and expand "System Devices". Is it listed?

Alan M

Alan M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
it is listed but there is a yellow exclamation point next to it. when i try to update it i get no improvement. i tried uninstalling it but then i had a hard time getting it back on the list at all.

this whole problem started when i took one usb device out of its hub and put it in another hub without using the xp safely remove hardware procedure icon in the task bar

maybe this screwed up the interupt sequences? im really not sure. but several decives and the enumerator are still out.

do you have any other ideas to try?
Thanks for all the time you've put into this so far.
Alan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There are a couple of ways we can go here.

First, though, do you have the important data backed up to external or removable media...just in case?

Probably the most likely procedure to fix this one will be an in-place upgrade, or repair installation of XP.

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Let me know if your cd does not support this feature. You'll know within the first couple of screens you see.

Alan M

Alan M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Wannnabe,

Is it likely that I will lose the data on my hard drive with this procedure? One of the drivers that is not working is the dvd burner so I cannot make an up to date back up. It sounds like attempting the repair installation is a good option, but before I do it I was wondering how likely data loss could be.

Thanks,
Alan