Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Genuine Microsoft?

• Please log in to reply

sososick

sososick

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Okay so i sent my laptop to HP to fix something on it, when i got it back, each time i go to the welcome screen, and it shows me this (see attachment)

What the... IS THAT! I haven't installed anything recently, and the Windows i have came with my laptop! Circuit City shall be sued!

Attached Files

Edited by sososick, 30 August 2006 - 12:14 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If that message appeared only after sending your laptop to HP, your beef is with HP not with the store who supplied it to you.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

If that message appeared only after sending your laptop to HP, your beef is with HP not with the store who supplied it to you.

unless in their process of "fixing" something...HP did a windows update on your computer and you hadn't gone to windows update in quite some time...if this is what happened then HP didn't break anything

the first thing you should do is contact microsoft about the issue...there have been "false possitives" with the WGA notification

negative_silent

negative_silent

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
If you still have your orginial CD key then download this:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9qa1ts

It's a Window's Keyfinder (it will tell you the key that is currently registered on the computer), compare the CD keys and tell us if it is the same or not.

Edited by negative_silent, 30 August 2006 - 02:54 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

If you still have your orginial CD key then download this:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9qa1ts

It's a Window's Keyfinder (it will tell you the key that is currently registered on the computer), compare the CD keys and tell us if it is the same or not.

The keys are almost certaintly not going to be the same, as HP will have a corporate key which they used on every system they make and stick a new license on every machine.

And of course Microsoft, in their wisdom, have decided that they don't like this anymore and have been known to flag these (previously legimitate) corporate keys as being illegal when they actually aren't. The easiest solution is to either change your key to the one on the side of the case, go to Windows Update to find a new releast of Windows Genuine Advantage (if there is one), or contact Microsoft.

negative_silent

negative_silent

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
If he stills has his original key then he can always use that program to just change it, we'll see soon enough. Let's just wait for his response.

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I actually scanned for adware and it's gone :S

I wasn't on any [bleep] site though *shrugs*