Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost killing pc

• Please log in to reply

-JuSTiN-

-JuSTiN-

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
there are 5 svchost.exe files running on my pc. 4 of them are fine but one of them uses all of my CPU and after a few minutes of my computer being on, it is so bad that no other programs will open (unless i end process on it, which is a hassle to remember to do all the time)..the computer works fine without the one running but if i leave it open after a few minutes i won't be able to shutdown or open programs..the weird part of it is that the programs i already have open work fine and without hardly any lag but it still don't allow me to open anything else..basically, it's a problem i have fixed by ending the task for it but is there any other way of making it not take up all the cpu or to not run at all when my computer boots up...i don't understand the point of why it has 5 of them running anyways.

this is on xp mce 2005

Advertisements

elmundo

elmundo

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
please go here

http://www.geekstogo...als-t87506.html
How-to remove malware guides and tutorials

-JuSTiN-

-JuSTiN-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
but is svchost malware? i've always had it right after fresh installations of windows.

Edited by -JuSTiN-, 30 August 2006 - 02:48 PM.

elmundo

elmundo

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
sorry for the delay

For instance, svchost is legit but scvhost is bad.

Please place your scan HJT log, in the malware forum and we will be able to help you from there

Edited by elmundo, 31 August 2006 - 11:25 AM.