Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

5.1 Surround Sound

• Please log in to reply

Albino

Albino

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi,

I bought a 5.1 surround sound unit which is lovely, but the instructions were a little non-existant. I've plugged it all in as far as i can understand it, but i have sound from only the sub and one speaker. I think maybe this is because I don't have a proper sound card?

I plugged three cables, pink blue and green into the corresponding sockets on the back of my computer which I found, but there are these other wires which came with the unit, of which there are three, both with green sockets to plug something in, splitting into two plugs, a red and a white plug on each cable.

I have, well, I think I have a on board sound card, going by the name of Realtek AC'97, and the program associated with this has the option to set the speakers as 5.1 sound which I've done, but I still have this problem.

So I'm just wondering how I go about setting this up and do I need a new sound card, so any help would be greatly appreciated :whistling:

A

edit: I have the front two speakers working - the other one wasn't plugged in correctly, but the two rear speakers don't work. The speakers themselves work because I've tested them, but when plugged into the "rear speaker" sockets, there's no sound.

I bought a 5.1 sound card hoping to resolve this issue, but still i have the exact same problem.

A

Edited by Albino, 06 September 2006 - 01:16 PM.

Advertisements