Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All apps "can't write to memory"

• Please log in to reply

exalowprofile

exalowprofile

• Pip
  • 3 posts
well ive read a thread about this issue in the forum and tried all the solutions but none worked for me.
and instead of getting the error when i open avi files/folders i get it with all apps, in other words, the errors start when i logon (logon_ui) and end when i shutdown.

all apps and windows services give me this error

The Instruction at "0x7c883000" referenced memory at "0x7c883000". The memory could not be "written". Click ok to terminate the program.

the values often change.

this is what i tried:
disabling DEP - didnt work
System restore - didnt work
uninstalling video codecs - didnt work
scan for virus - no virus found (Kaspersky latest virus signatures)
scan for spyware - no spyware found (windows defender up-to-date)
run memtest (dos version) - did 4 passes without a single error

im getting nuts here...i cant play anything cuz every now an then i get that annoying "dang" error sound and the message appears :whistling: :blink: :help: :)

is there anything i can do? formating its not an option right now.

this is my rig
Windows XP SP2 (i installed SP2 a long time ago)
AMD64 4000+ SD
1gb 2.2.2.5 BH5

hope u can :woot: thanks!

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do you have xp cd maybe it can repair that error

exalowprofile

exalowprofile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yes i do. how can i use to repair? repair install? or is there another way?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Before we go the repair route, I have another program, that so far looks better than "good 'ole" memtest. So far it has detected 1 problem that Memtest missed (well...I've only tried it once. So it is 1 for 1 so far :whistling:)

Let's try it out, shall we? With all these memory errors, I strongly suspect it is a RAM issue, rather than an operating system issue (which is what the repair would fix).

Download Stress Prime

After you download it, double-click on it (which opens the CAB that it is in) and drag the program to your desktop. Now you can run it. Click on the drop-down box at the top and select Large, in-place FFTs - stress RAM and click Start

If it detects a fatal error, it will stop automatically and then report it. Let me know if that happens.

Otherwise, stop the scan after about 30 minutes, and then in the window at the bottom, it will say if any errors/warnings were detected. Let me know what it says.

If you have the memory error when you try to run it, try again from Safe Mode instead.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 30 August 2006 - 12:01 PM.

exalowprofile

exalowprofile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the test. i ran it for 7h and it didnt return a single error, of course that during the 7 hours of the test the pc was full of those cant write errors of other apps such as windoiws update and other stuff.

i think its really a OS matter cuz i installed windows again in another disk but in the same rig and the errors were gone. but i cant use that disk so.. i really need to fix this the right way

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Okay. Thanks for info.

You will need an XP CD in order to repair Windows XP. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates and possibly your video card driver.

Microsoft Update