Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my router the problem?

• Please log in to reply

PapaSmurph

PapaSmurph

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi! I have a problem that is causing me to age prematurely. First of all, here are the details of the system i'm having a probelm with:

Windows XP (sp2)
Netgear MR814v3 router (with latest firmware upgrade)
COM21 cable modem

Now, when i first installed the netgear, everthing worked flawlessly. Each time my wife or i needed to get on the internet on the PC, no problems. I also have a couple of non-PC wireless connections that work fine, TiVo and Xbox.

So now, after a month or so of use, i cannot get on the internet through the PC. Sometimes i can, sometimes i can't. It seems very random. There is no pattern of connectivity. When i can't get out through IE, i also can't check email through Outlook Express.

Now, the only reason i'm not SURE its the router is because even when you can't get on the internet at the PC, i can get online and play with Xbox through the wireless adapter...

Very frustrating. :tazz:

Any help you can provide will be MUCH appreciated.

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Make sure that the computer has the latest driver of it network card installed. Also if that doesnt work try pluging the network cable into a differnet port. Now, if that doesnt slove it then, reset the router by using the restet button or by removing the powercord for about 30secs and reinsert. Hope that this helps.