Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Possibly found cause of long boot time

• Please log in to reply

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi,

Can anyone shed any light on this please. Having had an issue with an old box taking an insane amount of time to boot. I've just come across a weirdness in boot.ini settings in msconfig

My system seems to want to look for a previous version of windows - prior to looking for XP

Is there a quick way to ensure that my system only tries to load xp at boot?

Cheers for any advice in advance guys....

Steve
:whistling:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Open boot.ini in Notepad, delete all references to the now redundant OS, save the changes. Re-boot.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi and thanks pip22 - seems i'm clutching at straws. will paste what's in the boot.ini file (just to check) but don't think i've found the casue of my 1hr long boots.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I recently ran checkdisk and it took 3 days. Maxtor burn in test passed and subsequent reformat again took 3 days.

someone suggested maxblast4 but is that gonna be any more effective than powermax was?

Is there anything blindingly obvous that i'm missing? - I'd already had the pc certified clean by spywarewarrior before looking at other issues - but noone seems to be able to find the route cause.

Any ideas?

Cheers for your help

Steve