Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Web page starts Office 2000 Premuim Installer

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a HP/Compaq S6100nx desktop PC with 2.8GHz Celeron and 256MB RAM. Currently running Windows XP SP1, fully updated except for SP2. I use Norton Personal Firewall & AntiVirus, also fully updated. I have Microsoft Antispyware, SpyBot, Adaware and SpywareBlaster installed and running. I do full system scans on a weekly basis of all AV, anti-spyware/adware programs. I use Internet Explorer 6.

This issue happened to me several times this weekend. I would click on a link on a web page. I would be taken to another web page that had a message to the effect of "don't trust pop-up blockers". At that point the Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Installer would start up.

After clicking Cancel several times, the installer would stop. I could then X out of the web page and go about my business. This is not isolated to just one web page, and it happened about a half a dozen times over the course of about 3 hours of browsing the Internet. I was going to several sites doing research on one topic, so the different sites may have been connected somehow.

Since this happened the day after fully updating and scanning my computer with the above AV and antispyware/adware applications, I am puzzled about what this is. I have not encountered this before this past weekend.

I have not experienced any other problems with my computer since then.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd just like to a) make sure I can prevent this from occuring again, and b) make sure I have removed any malicious software that may have been installed.