Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Umm... my computer won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

aaronhm16

aaronhm16

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I just bought a bare bones Dell GX280 case + motherboard. all I did was put in a stick of DDR2 ram (256 mb) and put in a few PCI cards. I tried to start the computer but whenever I push the power button it turns orange for about 2 seconds then shuts off. The fan does not start, and I don't know what to do. Could it be because I don't have a CD drive put in yet? Also, I do not have a hard drive connected, could that do it? I would assume that it would check for a hard drive after booting, but idk. Any ideas?

Edited by aaronhm16, 30 August 2006 - 03:17 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Try a different power supply. Make sure the PS os compatable with the dell motherboard. Some Dell's (1998 to 2000)have a very ODD PS with different wiring. Dell PS's that are newer than 2000 are standard ATX power supply's.

http://members.csolu...ll/casemods.htm

SRX660

aaronhm16

aaronhm16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I belive this case this computer was built in 2004. I looked and both power hookups are connected. I believe the board is getting power. The information I put before is a little old. I put in a stick of RAM and a hard drive and tried to start it. I didn't think the fan was on because it is so quiet you can't hear it. So in the brief 2-3 seconds it is on the hard drive and fan have power and start running, but then it dies. There is no signal to the monitor either. Another thing, I don't know if this is relavent but when I unplug the ribbon that goes to the front USB ports the computer wont power on at all. Thanks for any help you can give.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, since the ribbon cable goes to the power switch along with the lights and USB ports, i can see why it does not work when unplugged. The amber light indicates a failed power supply or overload, with a voltage
loss to the motherboard. If unplugging all drives does not solve the problem then the power supply needs to be replaced, if the problem clears with the drives unplugged then reconnect them one at a time to find which one is
causing the problem. If the amber light still lights up with a new PS installed the motherboard or the processor has been damaged and needs replacing.

SRX660