Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC just crashes when...

• Please log in to reply

grummie2

grummie2

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi ! My PC just turns off when I do a virus scan (full system scan with Norton or Ewido) or any other type of tool (such as Ad-aware 5.0). It will also turn off if I go to full screen on my web cam after a few minutes. I've noticed that the Norton scan reaches 'driver cache i386' (?) when the shutdown triggers. Could this be where the problem is?
I've cleaned the PC up as best I can (I'm no geek) using spyware removers (that didn't crash the system, ewido) and the 'RegCure' tool.
I've lived with this problem for quite some time, but I'm now wanting to use the PC for business purposes and need it to be more reliable. Cheers in advance for any help.... :whistling: .
The PC is an 'E-machine 960' pentium 4.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
norton known to shut its self down when encounters something

your probably infected with a viris that wont allow itself to be quarrantined

so you should do the malware program if you feel you got most of the steps

try the trojan hunter and do your posting in the malware forum

good luck

grummie2

grummie2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, the problem was a broken cradle for the cpu, it meant a loose chip/heat sink and fan ! The machine must have had a bad knock in the factory/transit and the paste had finally pulled away causing it to over heat when under any increase in load.
I hope this may help anyone else with mysterious shut downs !