Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Hard drive copying

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi! I am in the process of buying a new hard drive so I could put only Windows XP Pro on as to help keep my computer from slowing down. Right now I have 1 IDE Seagate 120 gb hard drive. It is about half full. I was wondering if there was any software or method to ONLY relocate windows (none of my other files; only the ones that window needs) onto the new hard drive. Or is there a method in which you can remove only windows without having to reformatt the hard drive and losing all my files and i just put a clean install on the new hard drive.

Thanks in advance!

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
neither of those is possible as far as I know. You can make an 'image' of a whole partition using software such as Ghost or TrueImage, but not an image of only part of a partition.

Why not simply fit a second hard disk to give you more storage space and leave your existing system boot disk as it is?