Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microphone troubles

• Please log in to reply

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Alright I'm at my friends house and we play online games (ie- Counter Strike) and he used to have a Mic but it broke, so he went some time without one (he's reformatted his comupter since then)...anyway he went to buy a mic the other day it was a Plantronics, it didn't work...So he thought it was the mic so he returned the other mic and got a new one...its a Cyber Acoustics (not a headset, stick mic)....It didn't work...So he said he remembered that he had to change around a setting to get it to work...So me and my friend messed around with the settings, all the volumes for the mic were up..We tried both Mic Jacks (front and back)....did a test, and the Computer doesn't seem get any sound from the mic...

so my question to you is what should I do to get the mic to work properly?

(I hope I put this question in the right place, I post more in the Malware section) :whistling:

Advertisements

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
nobody knows :whistling:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Did this mic come with an installation cd? Look in control panel under audio devices. Go to the speach tab. Is the correct mic selected?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. To save time, can you please tell me which settings you were changing? There's a lot to look at. My first suggestion is to check and be sure that the new mic is set as the default mic for the system. This can be done in the Speech and Audio menu.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
sorry for the delayed response

-no it didn't come with a installation disc

-and what we did was make sure all the mic volumes were on and turned up..

I don't know what settings we'd have to change because with every mic I've ever encountered you just plug it in and it works, even my friends mic is like that, I took his mic to my house and put it in my computer and it works fine...

so I'm puzzled :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well let's try this then and see what happens... Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices -> Sounds and Audio Devices. A new window will appear. Click on the Voice tab. You will now see two dropdown boxes. One for the microphone, and one for the sound card. The microphone should be the one on the bottom, right? It says Default Device: ____ ... Click on that dropdown box and see if anything else shows. If so, try it.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Well let's try this then and see what happens... Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices -> Sounds and Audio Devices. A new window will appear. Click on the Voice tab. You will now see two dropdown boxes. One for the microphone, and one for the sound card. The microphone should be the one on the bottom, right? It says Default Device: ____ ... Click on that dropdown box and see if anything else shows. If so, try it.

alright I'll try that next time i'm over his house

we might have done this, maybe not,
regardless I'll try it

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
nothin happened
any ideas?

the other thing in the drop down box was "Modem #0 Line Record"

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I take it you tried both? I suggest updating your sound card drivers now. Go to the sound card manufacturer's website to obtain such a file.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
I'll try it

EDIT: I'm having a bit of trouble finding where the update would be

call me crazy but I've looked almost everywhere....

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 02 September 2006 - 08:58 PM.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
I FIXED IT !!!!!!!!

thanks for help anyway

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 02 September 2006 - 09:11 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
How did you fix it? We'll keep this for future refernece.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

How did you fix it? We'll keep this for future refernece.

I forget exactly how I got there because I did it at my friends house a couple of hours ago but I think I hit Volume and there was a button for advanced (under microphone) and in there it said Mic1 boost, mic2 boost, and I unchecked mic2 boost....

next time I'm over I'll go there and post the direct route I went

thanks for the help :whistling:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So you used the 20 dec. boost then. Thanks for sharing :whistling: