Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anyone familiar with the company AVERATEC?

• Please log in to reply

klaven9

klaven9

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I bought my first labtop today. It's an AVERATEC. I was hesistant to buy it since I had never heard of AVERATEC (HB and Toshiba labtops are much more common?). I was mainly attracted to how small it is; 10.5"X7.5"X1.0". It's about the size of a textbook, but, consequently it is rather slow.

1.0gHz celeron processor
43GB hard disk
512MB RAM

Everything else is built in (video card, wireless adapter, etc.). My first intention was to use it for school so I thought it would be satisfactory. The only thing that I can see that makes it slow is that it has a 1.0gHz processor. Is it difficult to upgrade processors on labtops? I paid $750 for it, I figured I would upgrade the processor then everything would be dandy.

Also continuing on with my last topic, I ended up buying a RADEON x1600 pro video card, I had enough money for it and it was the only one at Bestbuy with AGP slot compatability.

Advertisements

smalls101

smalls101

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Upgrading a laptop processor isnt really something most people should be messing around with. First of all, it would void the warranty even if you opened it up. Also, some laptops dont even let you do it because its hard wired in some way or another. Occasionaly a manufacturer will upgrade the processor for you. If you are doing it yourself, you have to take many things into account, like if it will even fit and if there is sufficient cooling. With a laptop that tiny i doubt your going to have any room to be putting in new stuff. Theres probably a reason they are using such an old processor. If you really need a faster computer, i would just return it and buy a new one and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Edited by smalls101, 02 September 2006 - 11:00 AM.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
hmm ur laptop might not be up to par with what you can get for 750. beacause u have to pay the premium prices for the small size of the laptop
Averatec is a very good laptop company, they specialize in light moblie laptops. The 10 inch 12 inch and 14 inch made by averatec are very good for ppl looking for smaller laptops. You should return this one and look for other averatec if you like the small size. they usually go around 1000$ canadian new if u shop around.

klaven9

klaven9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks guys, 1.0gHz is rathers low, so I'll be taking this one back and looking for the 10 inch one that's about $1000?