Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Cpu

• Please log in to reply

GdSmck78

GdSmck78

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, So I doubt this is the right place, But it seems it fits best here....

My CPU is roughly 2 years old. P4 3.0 HT 1gb ram and I THINK has a 256mb Nvidia GeForcee 5600 ultrs?

Anyway, Its custom built (Not by I) when I told the guy to build it,I told them I wanted it for "Gaming"

Too bad I didn't know then what I know now....Btw its AGP, Not PCI Argh!

Anyway, I cannot play a single game w/o problems. FPS is horrible. Ive even tried SimCity4, Pearl Harbor, Cabellas...some 3 yo or older, and they ALL have horrible FPS. Even with graphis down, still choppy or unplayable. W/O spending MORE money, is there something that could be done on my end (Hardwarw wise) to improve overall performance? Or am I stuck with buying another video card/Ram? I figured a $2000 system 2 years ago would give me good gameplay...I was wrong. Ive done all the basic stuff, defrag ect so any help/adivce would be appreciated.Also tried updated drivers...
Thanks!

Edited by GdSmck78, 31 August 2006 - 05:43 AM.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Did this recently start, or has it been slow since you purchased it? When was the last time you took the cover off and cleaned out the case. When was the last time the CPU and GPU heat sinks were cleaned?
Heat is a big killer.
Have you run a test on your memory to see if you may have a bad RAM module?
Try Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic" or MicroSoft's Memory Test