Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot delete movie file

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Achilarre

Achilarre

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
HI,

I downloaded a file using a P2P service and I cannot delete it. I have tried everything, booting in safe mode, using kill box and nothing works. I cannot even delete the whole folder that it is in. I also cannot move it. I says it is an mpeg but I think it may be an avi or mov. I cant even tell what the file name is because it is so long. Also when I double click on it doesnt load, it just opens windows media..it is like the file does not even exist.

Please let me know how I can delete this from my computer.
Thanks

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try this
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Edited by rushin1nd, 31 August 2006 - 07:37 AM.

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
This did not work..when I right click on the file I do not see the unlocker. All other files I see it.

When I right click all I see is

Play
Add to Playlist
Open With

Please help

Thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you use the add to context menu option when you installed, have you rebooted since installing?

Re-Re

Re-Re

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
sometimes you cant delete soemthing if the program you downloaded is running..that happens to me..then i found it was running and closed it and it deleted just fine...

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
nothing is working..when i go to delete it it says cannot find file

please help

thanks

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Will it let you rename the file? Long file names can cause this issue.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
http://www.softwarep...-delete-xp.html

You can use the old DOS "shortname". In the days before Windows, filenames under MS-DOS could only be 11 characters long. For compatibility with old programs that relied on that, for every file with a name longer than that, Windows creates a unique "shortname". For example, if your file is named "thisisalongfilename.isntit", a DIR /X in a command shell may show the shortname as "THISIS~1.ISN". It refers to the same file, so you can delete using the shortname.

Or maybe try this.

http://www.purgeie.c...elinv/index.htm

or this

http://www.jrtwine.c...ts/DelFXPFiles/

SRX660

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I think we are on to something here. The file name is too long...but I dont understand what I need to do...I cannot rename it...but there does seem to be a shortname with "~"

thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you try using Unlocker to rename it

Advertisements

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
unlocker did not work

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you right click the file, click properties, check for " this file came from another computer and is blocked " if you have that, click unblock

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Properties is not an option when i right click

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
These are some things I do to kill files that just won't delete...

1. delete all reg entries first, then delete the program using a] windows uninstaller, then b] its own uninstaller and maybe c] a commercial or free uninstaller
2. if unsuccessful, it may be because of you not killing the systray icon for the problem, and all shortcuts
3. try to physically drop the file into any one of many file kill, or unlocker programs
4. recheck the registry for just the one file that seems to be hung up, and see if it can be found in the Windows Shell folder...kill it
5. and one littel trick I use is to make a new folder on c:\ I often give it a sillly name, like The House on Haunted Hill, which has nothing to do with the magic of the exercise. Often these files sit stubbornly avoiding your efforts to delete them, BUT they like to go on a trip. So, pick them up and drop them off at the Haunted House...all very silly, but it works. They'll lay down and die after a day or so...then you can delete them.
6. if the file does not delete then, it may be associated with a malware...visit those fellows to find out what to do
7. often over time, the file will just stop being a pest and allow you to delete it, so if it not really causing any probs just leave it be for a few day.

Edited by b1caez01, 07 September 2006 - 10:06 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Achilarre...
  • Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open. (Click Start, then Run, type cmd, and click "Ok")
  • Close all open programs.
  • You'll need to close EXPLORER.EXE. The proper way to shutdown Explorer is to bring up the "Shut Down Windows" dialog (select "Shut Down..." from the start menu), hold down CTRL+SHIFT+ALT and click the "Cancel" button. Explorer will exit cleanly.
  • Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the root directory by typing cd \ and pressing "Enter". At the C:\> prompt, type the path to the undeletable file (ie...C:\>program files\folder). At the resulting command prompt type DEL undeletable where undeletable is the name of the file you wish to delete...press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter" to close the command session.
  • Go back to Task Manager, click "File", then "New Task", type explorer.exe, and click "Ok" to restart the GUI shell.
  • Close Task Manager.
Let us know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 07 September 2006 - 10:13 PM.