Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot delete movie file

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Never thought of that...great idea...wannabe1...but unless the file is killed in the memory caches, it will just pop up again...I've been down this road before. Windows has this habit of hanging onto files it feels are important for its' survival, whether in fact or not... just another fly in the ointment... :whistling:

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Sometimes if that does not work, go at it from the reboot> open in command prompt with safe mode.

The last resort if to find a floppie prog that will get you to the DOS world, Check "Chaldera" for this.

Once in DOS there are a very limited number of functions...maneuveur around to c:\windows\system32\ and then write in the command for the file in the respective folder that is to be found in. [Hopefully, you recorded its path earlier.]

It would look like:

c:\windows\system32\delete c:\windows\[folder in which file is found]\file.*

If all of the previous suggestions have not worked, consider hitting it with your shoe...a big one. :whistling:

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
see if this applies to you
but first create a back up of your registry and a system restore point

This is a common problem among Windows XP users; . You're trying to delete an .avi file (usually one huge in size), but Windows displays the error that the file is in use. You reboot to no avail, the .avi file won't go away. Today, a solution.

*please note that editing your registry is dangerous

1. Start -> Run regedit
2. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID \ {87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}

3. Delete the InProcServer32 key
4. Reboot

Now, you should be able to delete the .avi file. The reason it wouldn't delete before is that Windows tries to read the corrupt .avi file before allowing you to delete it. The removal of the InProcServer32 prevents Windows from reading the files before you play/edit/delete them.

Edited by rushin1nd, 08 September 2006 - 06:03 PM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
rushin1nd: how universal is this process? Will the InProcServer32 entry return on reboot? Is the entry "action-oriented," meaning, it only appears as an entry when such a situation presents itself? Is it always there? Just what are the mechanics of what's going on here, and why was that the specific entry to deal with.

I am not a programmer...so I like to know the cause, affect, and effect of an action, so that I can apply that elsewhere...if possible :whistling:

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Q: WinXP will not to let you delete some AVI files. It may tell you that the file is currently in use.
A: There is a bug in WinXP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll. This bug can also cause WinXP not to let you delete some AVI files. It may tell you that the file is currently in use

Solution:

Create a system restore point in case of any problems, then proceed.
Click on Start, Run.
Type in "Regedit" and click OK.
Browse to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489- 5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32
Delete the last registry entry ( InProcServer32 ).
Close the registry editor and restart the system.
Just an extra note, if you do a "search" for this key it will not be found, look for it manually it is very easy to find.

create a back up registry before you attempt to do anything

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I wonder why the error message "this file is corrupt" does not pop up as soon as it hits the "error" in the file...

Has this bug been addressed yet with an update?

Edited by b1caez01, 08 September 2006 - 05:43 PM.

jetteryhibbard

jetteryhibbard

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, have you tried using http://LongPathTool.com? I have encountered the same problem too and http://LongPathTool.com helped me. They can handle pathnames of any length, up to the internal Windows limit of 32,000 characters.

alexaTS

alexaTS

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have downloaded Long Path Tool and it helped me a lot .

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Long Path tool is not free. Demo version will not delete file. NOT recommended by our site. Unlocker 1.9.1 supports windows through windows 7. More info at http://www.emptyloop.../unlocker/#faq.

Also FileASSASSIN by Malwarebytes works well. More info at http://www.malwareby...s/fileassassin/