Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freeze on booting up

• Please log in to reply

mccaresp02

mccaresp02

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Over the past several months, my laptop has been more prone to freezing up at the welcome screen. It has now got so bad that yesterday I reformatted my computer and reinstalled XP.

This did not help!! Actually, I think it made it worse. I would have to say that out of every 6 times I boot up, 1 is successful. Now it freezes up with an hour glass and a black or blue background.

Does this mean that my hard-drive is going bad?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Hi mccaresp02, welcome to GeeksToGo!

Can you get your machine to boot into safe mode? Press f8 during boot up.

mccaresp02

mccaresp02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi mccaresp02, welcome to GeeksToGo!

Can you get your machine to boot into safe mode? Press f8 during boot up.

YES, I can get into safe mode if needed

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Boot your machine into safe mode. Go Start>run> -type- ''msconfig''>click the startup tab. Disable all programs you don't need running on startup. Reboot your machine into normal mode and see if it works.

Please post back on how it went.

Thanks.

mccaresp02

mccaresp02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Boot your machine into safe mode. Go Start>run> -type- ''msconfig''>click the startup tab. Disable all programs you don't need running on startup. Reboot your machine into normal mode and see if it works.

Please post back on how it went.

Thanks.

I just reinstalled xp, so there shouldn't be any programs running that shouldn't be right?

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
No, there shouldn't be any programs running that shouldn't be. But please make sure so we can go to the next step of fixing your problem.

mccaresp02

mccaresp02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

No, there shouldn't be any programs running that shouldn't be. But please make sure so we can go to the next step of fixing your problem.

OK, I edited msconfig and removed a dvd decoder. Thats the only program that I reinstalled since the reformat. I then proceeded to beboot the system and it froze and the blue welcome screen for approx. 10 minutes.

After about 10 minutes it worked it's way about and asked me for the admin password.

Not sure where else to turn.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Fresh Install? Did you use the the MS generic drivers or the drivers specific to your hardware?

Shy1

Shy1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my dell dimension 2350 freezes on the dell screen, i tried f2 and f12 but nothin happens. what can i do. please help!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Shy1 ... :) ..:)

this thread is from aug 2006...you need to start a new topic for yourself...
go here for the how to...
also don't type in bold or all caps

Edited by happyrock, 17 April 2010 - 08:08 AM.