Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Booting problems

• Please log in to reply

mccaresp02

mccaresp02

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
:whistling:

Over the past several months I have noticed that my machine has been freezing up while booting. This would normally happen at the welcome/login screen. After many unsuccessful attempts at restarting the computer I will finally be able to get into the computer.

Now this week it became very bad freezing 8/10 times booting up and I couldn't find out the problem so I reformatted the computer and reinstalled XP.

Hence, a new copy of XP should be no problems right? WRONG! This didn't help at all and in fact, made it worse. Sometimes if I leave my computer to idle while it is froze for about 10 minutes it actually works its way out and promptsme for my admin password. Other times there is nothing I can do but to turn the computer off.

I must manually turn my computer off and restart it over and over to finally get to the screen to enter my password. Once I am able to enter my password the computer seems to be working ok, but maybe it is just me, but seems to be running a bit slow.

Is this a sign of a bad hard drive?

Someone please help me!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you keep tapping F8 as soon as you start the PC until it gives options, then choose safe mode, does it freeze

Have you got a powered USB Hub

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
If it still freezes in Safe Mode, do this:

Download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

mccaresp02

mccaresp02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

And what if it doesn't freeze in safe mode? Is my hard drive ok? What can be causeing the problem?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
If it doesn't freeze at all, then we have a software or driver problem.

Speed Fan will help us to locate a hardware problem, which will most likely be the case if it freezes regardless of normal mode or safe mode.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 31 August 2006 - 11:34 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The most likely are the video card drivers or temperatures, though if you getting freezing from a cold boot, consider the video card drivers, which safe mode does not load

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Speed fan not only checks temperatures, but also voltages (for desktops) and the SMART data of hard drives. So it covers a few bases.

Let us know how it does in Safe Mode.

mccaresp02

mccaresp02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Found IC25N030ATCS04-0 (30.0GB)
Found ACPI temperature (46.0C)
End of detection

mccaresp02

mccaresp02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Found IC25N030ATCS04-0 (30.0GB)
Found ACPI temperature (46.0C)
End of detection

status.
Your hard disk is a IC25N030ATCS04-0 with firmware CA3OA72A.
The average temperature for this hard disk is 43C (MIN=29C MAX=54C) and yours is 39C.
Your hard disk's S.M.A.R.T. attributes are now being analyzed and a full report about the reliability, health and status of your hard disk is generated:
Your hard disk is not below any attribute threshold. This is good.
Your hard disk was never below any attribute threshold. This is good.
Your hard disk is now being compared to real data used to define normal values for your specific hard disk model. This way, the analysis can automatically use proper operating ranges. The images give you an idea of how each attribute is within such range. Current and raw values are shown for easier reference for experienced users. There are 1047 hard disk models in the current archive.

Attribute Current Raw Overall
Raw Read Error Rate 100 0 Very good
Throughput Performance 103 5995 Very good
Spin Up Time 163 8 0 0 Very good
Start/Stop Count 78 36075 Watch
Warning: Start/Stop Count is below the average limits (94-100).
Reallocated Sector Count 92 0 Watch
Warning: Reallocated Sector Count is below the average limits (100-100).
Seek Error Rate 100 0 Very good
Seek Time Performance 134 30 Very good
Power On Hours Count 85 6781 Good
Spin Retry Count 100 0 Very good
Power Cycle Count 100 1452 Very good
GSense Error Rate 100 0 Very good
Power Off Retract Count 99 226 Good
Load Cycle Count 85 152879 Good
Reallocated Event Count 91 394 Watch
Warning: Reallocated Event Count is below the average limits (100-100).
Current Pending Sector 100 43 Very good
Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 100 0 Very good
Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 200 0 Very good

NOTE: not all warnings are reflected on fitness and performance overall values as relevancy is based upon the settings from the hard disk manufacturer who is the best entity deputed to define such relationships.

NOTE : your hard disk has 43 pending sectors. Those are sectors that couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

The overall fitness for this drive is 82%.
The overall performance for this drive is 100%.

Chimpy

Chimpy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

If you keep tapping F8 as soon as you start the PC until it gives options, then choose safe mode, does it freeze

Have you got a powered USB Hub

Hi, i hope i am not interuppting anything but the problem I was having or still having is very similar to this and I have started a post as well.....here
maybe look in there for some tips as well.

and Keith i got a powered USB Hub..? why, does it matter?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Some screenshots of the first tab and the last tab in Speed Fan would be much better.

To take a screenshot: press Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in your reply.

mccaresp02

mccaresp02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Some screenshots of the first tab and the last tab in Speed Fan would be much better.

To take a screenshot: press Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in your reply.

I am sorry for being dumb but I don't have paint and I am not sure how to do screen shots. Can you guide me a little more.

Chimpy

Chimpy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
to take a screen shot: hold down alt+ctrl and press print screen on the keyboard at the same time.
then click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Paint.
when Paint opens ...click on Edit->Paste
and the just save as JPEG
thats it your done

mccaresp02

mccaresp02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
when i copy the print screen and try to paste I click on edit in paint but the paste option is shaded out and is not available. Jeez this is frustrating.

Please don't leave me hanging!

Chimpy

Chimpy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

when i copy the print screen and try to paste I click on edit in paint but the paste option is shaded out and is not available. Jeez this is frustrating.

Please don't leave me hanging!

CLICK ON THE WINDOW YOU WANT TO TAKE SCREEN SHOT OF -> THEN HOLD DOWN CTRL+ALT , and press print screen(Sys req) key once
what this does is saves the screen shot on its memory and from there goto paint and edit->paste it....

hope this helps.....
crtl+alt+print screen once and it will work!
:whistling: happy shooting