Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgraded 2.4ghz to 3ghz but computer lags

• Please log in to reply

tubui

tubui

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
:whistling:

Yesterday I upgraded my processor from a P4 2.4 to a P4 3. And then a putting it in my brother used the air pressure thing to clean out the dust in my computer. Could it be strong enough to damage the motherboard?

After I plug in all the wires and turn on the computer, at first try, the fans were running but the picture on the monitor didn't show up.. And the red light on the mouse didn't show up ethier. So I powered it off and turned it on again, this time the monitor showed up and then the mouse's red light shows up 1 minute afterwards..

Then when my computer is up and running, it would lag spike at some moments. Like for example firefox, I would scroll down and it would lag there and then I have to wait a few seconds for it to unlag. Does anyone know whats wrong?

Is it the newly upgraded processor or the air pressure that is causing these problems?

Advertisements

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Anyone???

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I used that lil spray thingy when i was still in high school and it didnt even damaged the motherboard. Can give a spec on those two processors?

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
I forgot the specs.. The 2.4ghz one is covered in the heat gel thingy so you can't see it anymore..

Hmm.. This is odd.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well Plastic and metal versus air which is going to win. Its not likely what is likely is either you need to reinstall the OS or at least do a repaor or rebuild. Or the PSU isnt up to the task which if it isnt a custom system is likely.

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
What do you suggest I reinstall / repair?

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
How do I upgrade my BIOS? My friend suggested that I do that but can someone tell me how? Here is my info:

Motherboard: AOpen AX4SG Max
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4E, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
BIOS Type: Award
Award BIOS Type: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message: AX4SG Max R1.00 Apr.22.2003 AOpen Inc.
System BIOS Date: 04/22/03
Video BIOS Date: 06/16/04
Company Name: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

Thank you in advance.