Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

GX parts?

• Please log in to reply

jesse1579

jesse1579

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I had a customer who wanted 2 pcs custom built for him and his wife. He liked the metal top of the dell GX 520, but he wanted a custom pc. To make a long story short he purchased 2 dell GX 520 pcs just for the powersupply and the case (the guy has way too much money). I put togeater 2 really nice machines for him, and he ended up giving me the internals for both of the 520s. I have 2 motherboards with intel pentium D processors, heatsinks and the works. Each board has a gig of memmory (2 512 sticks). The boards have built in network, video, and sound. Multiple usb slots, and are set up for a scsi harddrive. Any suggestions on what I should sale them for?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I had a customer who wanted 2 pcs custom built for him and his wife. He liked the metal top of the dell GX 520, but he wanted a custom pc. To make a long story short he purchased 2 dell GX 520 pcs just for the powersupply and the case (the guy has way too much money). I put togeater 2 really nice machines for him, and he ended up giving me the internals for both of the 520s. I have 2 motherboards with intel pentium D processors, heatsinks and the works. Each board has a gig of memmory (2 512 sticks). The boards have built in network, video, and sound. Multiple usb slots, and are set up for a scsi harddrive. Any suggestions on what I should sale them for?

Yeah, thats pretty weird and not smart, getting the dell gx 520 especially just for the case and powersupplies...

Those pc's dont even have a real video card all they have is integrated graphics so that right there defeats the whole purpose in buying a dell gx 520.. It even lacks a pci express slot for a real video card.. LOL

They make 3 different types of cases for the gx 520.

It lacks a pci express 16x slot. The pc is for business and business only pretty much because of its lack of expandability on a video card, Unless you get an old regular pci slow video card..

It does have a pci express 1x slot but thats not for video cards..

Anyway.. The Price is $1,021 for all the basic / default items to get on that machine.. You said it had a dual core cpu though so you will have to look for yourself or goto dell.com, but depending on which cpu it has will determine the price for all parts..

You didnt say you had the harddrives so Just for 1 motherboard, 1 processor, and a set of ram (1gb total) I dont know how much to say because I would need to know what dual core cpu they were but dont expect to get full price on those parts. Its already been used and taken home, its just like a car when you buy it and drive off the lot it already lost quite abit of its value..

All of the Pentium D cpus are really cheap now because of the newer conroe processors...

Id say for 1 mobo, 1 cpu, and 1gb of ram it would be like $300- $350 max you would be able to get from it.. The most expensive thing would be the cpu and the mobos that dell uses are cheap and the memory is cheap. Since its already been used and taken home Id say $300 max.

If you have a harddrive which you didnt say specifically, add like $50 - $75 For a harddrive around 160 to 250 gb.. Im not joking around that is how much these parts actually cost by themselves if you buy them from newegg.com, tigerdirect.com etc...

P.S. you can try and sell them on ebay for a good deal.

Edited by jrm20, 31 August 2006 - 03:41 PM.