Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer: Laser or Inkjet

• Please log in to reply

bradyg23

bradyg23

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
My wife and I have rare occasion to need a printer. With Inkjets it seems that the ink dries up if we don't use it for a month or so. How does a Laser printer hold up to sporadic use?

No need for color.

Thanks!
Brady

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Laser printers work much better with idle time. There is nothing to dry up since the toner is already dry. I have not had a problem with mine.

bradyg23

bradyg23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thank you Kemasa! Any suggestions for a 'decent' quality, inexpensive laser?

I do not want a multifunction unit...

Thanks!
Brady

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Well, I got a free HP laser printer, which is older. I have heard that HP is not as good as it used to be, but I don't have personal experience with new models. If you are looking to use it not very often, you might consider checking out a used printer. I have seen printers given away on freecycle lists (www.freecycle.org).

Other than that I don't know. I agree with you on multifunction printers. You might be able to get one which part of it does not work though.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lasers are still pretty expensive, what i do if im not going to use the ink cartridge rather than leave it and let it dry up(although it shouldnt if the printer is in good nick) is pull the cartridge close it back up and put it in the box it takes all of ten seconds to put it back in. And i cant afford laser and definately not colour laser which is still expensive.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sadly, yes, they are still expensive, however, if I were to buy one, I would buy a HP. A family member of mine actually has an HP laserjet, and it works very well!

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You can get some laser printers fairly cheap, but the quality might also be lacking. One thing to watch out for is that many laser printers come with a cartridge which is limited in the amount it will print. Check the cost of a new cartridge for any printer you want to buy.

Pulling out the ink jet cartridge will only work with some printers. It will not work with an Epson printer. Check out www.printpals.com and www.123inkjets.com (I think that I have discount codes for both, so if you want to order let me know). Depending on the brand of printer, the cartridges are a lot cheaper. For my Epson it is just over $5, so it is cheap enough that it does not matter if it drys out, although I have not had that problem even when I don't use it often.