Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer needs restore CD but didn't come with one

• Please log in to reply

elfu

elfu

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
hi there

a while back, a friend's laptop had tons of bad stuff on it so we decided to restore it. It being a HP pavilion zv6000 did NOT come with a restoration CD so we bought one off ebay.

We restored the computer and with fructose's help, we were able to reload all the drivers from the HP site.

But we have found out that the copy we've bought is NOT a legal copy of windows. So we are now getting this icon that says this windows copy is illegal or stolen and we are very upset...

we have contacted ebay about the matter but in the mean time are wondering what else can we do about getting a restore CD? Shouldn't HP laptop have come with one???

Is there a place on their website where we can download one??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

(PS, on TOP of all these, her laptop screen had just turned dark...grrrrrrr...)

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Actually, knowing HP, the laptop probably came with a Recovery Partition. And sometime after activating the laptop, your friend should have been prompted to create recovery CDs, using that partition.

No doubt after you used the e-bay CD, you lost that partition, and no longer have that ability.

Buying any CD that requires a key off of e-bay or any other used parts site is a very big :whistling: No doubt the person you bought it from is either using that key, or has used it at some point in time. So the key is registered for him, not your friend.

Never buy software that requires a key from e-bay, unless it is unopened and brand new. Even then, personally, I would just go to the store or buy it from microsoft.

we have contacted ebay about the matter but in the mean time are wondering what else can we do about getting a restore CD? Shouldn't HP laptop have come with one???

Is there a place on their website where we can download one??

No, you will have to call them, or possibly e-mail them, and they will send you a CD (or CDs), for a price.

But we have found out that the copy we've bought is NOT a legal copy of windows.

You will have to contact microsoft about purchasing a key (you can get a key separately from a CD). I don't know how much it is, but I think it is around $10-$20. Then again, if you inform them of your situation, maybe they'll have something that you can do to get the key out of the other guy's name, and then registered to your friend's name. Regardless, you'll have to contact Microsoft. We cannot help with this matter.

on TOP of all these, her laptop screen had just turned dark...grrrrrrr...

Is the laptop plugged into an external power source? If not, the "darkness" is to preserve power. If you want to change that, hold down the Fn key (somewhere on the bottom-left side of the keyboard) and find the symbol that looks like a sun or lightbulb with an up arrow and press it. That symbol will probably be located on the arrow keys or somewhere towards the top of the keyboard.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 31 August 2006 - 12:27 PM.

elfu

elfu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hi there!!

Thanks for your help!

I will try to contact MS and hopefully they'll help me with the situation.

As for the screen. No, it is NOT on reserve power. Even with it plugged in, we cannot see the screen.

Well, we can a little bit, we can see the desktop stuff if we shine a flash light over it. But the screen itself just went dark while we were trying to troubleshoot the computer.

if you can shed anymore light on this, that'd be great!

And thanks for the warning about buying used CD. We thought we were getting a bargain without realizing that we were buying illegal stuff!!

Thanks

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts

As for the screen. No, it is NOT on reserve power. Even with it plugged in, we cannot see the screen.

Well, we can a little bit, we can see the desktop stuff if we shine a flash light over it. But the screen itself just went dark while we were trying to troubleshoot the computer.

if you can shed anymore light on this, that'd be great!

I wish I could, but I've never heard of a situation like that. :blink:

I think for that particular problem, you'd get better help in the Hardware Forum

Hope everything goes well for ya! :whistling:

elfu

elfu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hi puterwiz,

thank you for all your help!

Called MS and they said the key is $99.00. Hard lesson learned but at least we now have a perm. key that we can use (to anyone out there that is reading this, don't buy a opened disk! LOL)

as for the monitor, hp will fix it for a fee. Sheesh.

Thanks a bunch!! Have a great weekend!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
You're welcome :help:

I didn't realize the key would cost THAT much! :whistling: :blink:

You have a great weekend too!!