Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC do not Boot in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

sam-my

sam-my

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks Keith for your assistance.
I've done the "Repair" as advised. The Safe Mode and System Restore are working correctly now.
But I remarked that the Task Manager windows has been modified?
I'm attaching here a print screen of what I get. All the tabs are missing. I can't check the CPU usage, and in order to close this window, I have to right click on the Task Manager icon (small green square) in the System Tray. Is it possible to recover the Task Manager window without performing the OS Repair again?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Task_Manager_1.JPG

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Double click it above task

sam-my

sam-my

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
GREAT !!! Task Manager window corrected.
Thanks a lot for your time and your so kind assistance.

The lonely remaining issue is the CPU high temperature mainly during virus scanning or games which causes the PC to freeze.
- The PC is dust free. I applied Thermal Grease on the Processor as advised.
BUT:
- The RAM Memory (MemTest) test result is very bad. The PC freezes exactly after 4.57 minutes !? either running this
test using a bootable CD or under Windows using MemTest.Exe file
I will try to have "on loan" 2ea RAM sticks and ensure the ones (3 x 256) I have are not corrupted (they are from different brands - not of the best brands).
Note: My Motherboard is not compatible with the dual RAM (DDRII). Crucial test showed existing "Non-Parity 3x256 DDR PC3200" memory sticks.
Crucial proposed memory is also DDR PC3200 .

- Running Drivers Update test (using evaluation programs of Driver Detective and Driver Magician ) I found out that some "Intel" related drivers are not up-todate.(attached pictures).

I wonder if both issues above have any relationship to the CPU high temp??
Any suggestions.

Many Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Drivers_1_1.JPG
  • Drivers_1_2.JPG
  • Drivers.JPG

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you use Memtest, or the bootable one, remove two of the three and leave one in slot one, run the test, remove the stick, put another in slot one, run the test, when you have run the tests on all three sticks in slot 1 you should know which is the faulty stick, unlikely to be all three

If they do all return unsatisfactory results in slot one, run the tests the same way using slot 2

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

sam-my

sam-my

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello Keith

I downloaded the version on Memtest v1.65.
The one I have is v3.2 , I downloaded one week ago following advise I found in another thread.
Nevertheless v1.65 is a latter version.
I ran different tests (12 ea) using either 3, 2, or one memory stick in every test. I also installed the sticks in different slots. I ran also tests living slot #1 empty...
The results were as follows:
- with 3 memory sticks -> 4.57 to 5.06 minutes
- with one memory stick -> 1.35 to 2.04 minutes
- with 2 memory sticks -> 3.12 to 3.16 minutes

I remarked that the PC didn't freezed. The test (WallTime) simply stopped.

Any other suggestiions

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you defining high CPU temp as 60c and above

sam-my

sam-my

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
As per the following site:
[ http://www.intel.com...b/CS-007999.htm ]
the maximum temperature for CPU Pentium4, 478 Pins 3GHz is 69C.
The maximum recommended working temperature ("Higher Set Point") per Table 1
is X>=40C.
My CPU iddle temperature is already 44C

The Heat Sink and fan I have in my PC is exactly as per
[ http://www.intel.com...b/cs-007989.htm ] figures 14 thru 17.
The fan is working correctly.

1. According to the above Memtests results may I conclude that the issue is lying in the Motherboard
itself and not in the Ram sticks? (the results were similar with differents sticks and at different slots locations).

2. Has the processor lost its original "performances" by working over a long period of time at a high temperature? (just a guess or my own assumption).
As I already mentioned even when working with one PC side panel off (removed) and using an external home fan "fully" ventilating the PC the temperatures remain high (63 - 64 C when performing virus scan).

Is there any additional check/test to be done or changing the CPU or/and the Motherboard is a must?

Thanks a lot for your kind assistance.