Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Problem Reading Info on Maxtor Hard Drive (NTFS slave)

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
In my computer I have 2 hard drives: a boot hard drive and one setup to be a storage (slave) hard drive. They are both NTFS systems and the boot hard drive is a Maxtor 120 GB and the storage is a Maxtor 200 GB hard drive. These are both not SATA, but whatever most hard drives are usually connected to the motherboard with (I forget the name). My storage hard drive recently stopped working and if I go to properties it says that it is in RAW format. However, I downloaded a trial version of GetDataBack for NTFS V 3.03 and it did read all the files I did have on the drive (total of 89.9 GB), but the majority of these came up as hidden files. Is there any program to recover these files that is free (since you need a registered version of GetDataBack to actually recover the files and that cost about $80)? Also, is there anything else I can do to possibly repair the drive?

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If the data is irreplaceable, only you can decide if it's worth paying for the full version to retrieve it -- and who knows, once paid for it can be used again and you may be glad of it.

One word of advice. I'm not at all surprised it's a maxtor drive. I've had three go belly-up on me in the past 4 years. All new ones, and I'm by no means a power user. I now avoid maxtor drives like the plague (I think Seagate or WD have swallowed them up now anyway, but there's still plenty of old stock being offered for sale). They may be cheaper than most but what's the real cost in terms of lost data?

Since your system drive is also a maxtor, I would start budgetting for a replacement sooner rather than later.

Edited by pip22, 01 September 2006 - 01:59 PM.