Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Full New PC Problem

• Please log in to reply

mosmosmos

mosmosmos

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I built my PC earlier got it all ready, switched it on and it worked for about 5 seconds hn turned itself off.

So I took each component out bit by bit and it still didnt work until I was left with Motherboard, CPU and RAM left in, then when i switched it on it jsut kept going, well stayed turned on and the fan kept running. So I presume it isn't an overheating problem.

So I reattached the SATA HDD (Power and Data Cable) and it kept working. So tried putting in the grpahics card and then were back to the usual problem. Now taking it all out again and it still doesn't work.

I know it's going to happen because when i turn it on at the wall it will automatically start the computer (no swich on back) then kill it after about 5 second. Other times it waited until I hit the ON button and then it kept gonig all the time.

This is my first time at this so I'm not really sure what to try now.

System Hardware is:

AMD Athlon 64 939 CPU
Asus A8N5X Motherboard
2 x Corsair 512MB DDR400 ValueRAM
Inno3d GeForce 7600 GS Graphics card
Lite-On CDRW/DVDRW
Western Digital 250GB SATA HDD

Think thats all.

Any help appreciated. Thanks :whistling:

Current Status[01:34 GMT]: Runs with no power connectors connected apart from the main 2 to the motherboard. No HDD/CD Drive or Expeansion cards. Doesn't cut out.

Edited by mosmosmos, 31 August 2006 - 06:35 PM.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well it could be that your power supplie is either on the way out or its not supplying enough to the graphics card what is the PSU that your using

troppo

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I agree. Sure sounds like a bad, or underpowered power supply.

mosmosmos

mosmosmos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Brand is Win Power
ATX 450

It came with the case.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
standard power supplies arent the best the thing is sure they have a large wattage but sometimes they have very low Amp ratings

have a look on the side of your power supply and see what the Amp rating is for your 12V rail that will give us an idication of how much power its supplying to your graphics card

troppo

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Also i did some research and found that the 7600GS consumes 27.4 watts at peak load so the rule is the power consumed= voltage(12V) X current (amps)

P=VI

so if your 12 volt rail doesnt supply enough power when multiplied by the amperage its safe to say that your power supply is underated and you will need to purchase a better one

troppo