Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

GAME EXE-FILE DETECTED AS VIRUS

• Please log in to reply

Cabranth

Cabranth

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hello.

First I want to say that I had NO idea which forum section to post this in as it involves a game and a spyware/antivirus program.

Second, I looked, but couldn't find any similar threads so if this has been discussed already, sorry.

I recently re-installed my copy of Neverwinter Nights: Diamond edition. I had deleted this game due to drivespace issues. When I attempted to install it my spyware/antivirus program told me that about 3 files were "denied, it contains a virus". When I finished the installation, the game wouldn't run, as the files detected had been refused installation. One of these files happened to be the EXE file which starts the game, so regardless of the rest I can't even start the game, much less play it.

All this is very confusing because I have installed and played this same game on this same PC just a few months ago and had no problems.

My spyware/antivirus program is Cox High Speed Internet Security Suite, if that helps.

Has anyone else had installation problems like this with parts their game being refused installation, and if so, is there a solution short of buying a whole new security program (mine's free) and hoping it will install ok with the new one?

Also, if I should have posted this in a different part of the forum, then I'll be happy to re-direct my inquiry.

Thanks.

Advertisements

crustygloves

crustygloves

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
i say go to the malware thread, if they can't fix it, come back here, maybe if you have a friend with the game, you could get him to bring it over and see if its your cd, or your computer

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would maybe try disabling it during the install and maybe get a better AV ive never heard of the one you are using and ideally a good AV should be relativley popullar.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Definitely disable ANY and ALL anti-virus/software firewall during installation and on-line gameplay.

:whistling:

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
disable during online gameplay? i would NEVER do that, except if I have a good idea that the gameplay is suffering due to a firewall/antivirus. I have Norton, and the first time I play a new game online, it says that the game is trying to access the internet, and is a medium/high risk threat, but it says which file is doing it, and if i know the name of the game i just select allow always. but i agree warriorscot, they probably know what to do (be sure to tell them which antivirus you're using)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
a good question would be where did you get the game to begin with?

ive never heard of the one you are using

the cox av suite is a bundled service through cox broadband (from cox communications...one of the larger providers in the us...not sure but i'd venture a guess that cox and comcast are in the top 10 for bundled services, cable-phone-internet services)..they however don't give out much information as to what software they are actually using for the suite...because i know they didn't write it themselves...they're using someone elses backend..just not sure who's

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
there we go...a little deeper on the google search

http://www.tlcug-ark...oxsecsuite.html aparently it's an authentium backend...

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I have no use for software firewalls, as they can cause irrepairable harm. If someone forgets to turn off Zone Alarm during installation of an application, it can mangle a user database so bad that a reinstall of Windows is the only solution. I have seen this more than once. As for real-time AV, it's only as good as it's definitions. Both consume resources and with the demands of today's online games, we need all the power we can get.

It will always be my recommendation to, first, only use a limited account when online. Anyone surfing, downloading, etc... on an Administrator account should know the consequences for doing so. Second, use that stuff between your ears to filter out the "would you like to install this" to access a site. Third, use a decent HARDWARE firewall to remove the burden from the users computer. A good hardware firewall can now be purchased for under $20 and with wireless capability. They can protect a network, not just one computer. And fourth, never open e-mail attachments from an untrusted source and delete anything you are not expecting.

And yes, I sit behind a hardware firewall, I'm online with an Administrator account and I don't run real-time AV. And for that matter, I don't even bother to scan for such things. Because I know that the internet is not a very safe place to be.

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
This should be posted in the Malware threads.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Actually it should only go in malware if there is malware invloved its common for game EXEs to appear as malware as game cracks usually take the form of exes of the same name and often have malware thus meaning on occasion real exes are mistaken as malware also sometimes heuristic scans will setect game copyprotection as malware which it is in some ways.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Online games are often identified as such because they need to contact, as an outgoing service, the master server to get the list of servers that the game can connect to.

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hello.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

To respond to one thing specifically, I got this game at Wal-Mart.

I've had it for almost a year now, and had absolutely ZERO problems with it when I installed and played it before. I've also had the same PC and the same antivirus/spyware program this whole time.

I'm sorry if anyone thinks this inquiry should have gone in the malware section, I just picked one of several possibilities. I had hoped that maybe another PC gamer might have encountered a similar problem with the same game or another one.

Since I can't seem to solve this, I guess this thread can be wiped anytime one of you Mods feels like it.

Thanks as always.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Your AV was probably updated with a virus DB that included a file similar to the one in your game, just deactivate the AV while you install the game and that should fix it.

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Point taken, thanks for the heads up, :whistling:.