Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My internet is extremly slow on wireless router

• Please log in to reply

LoveFish

LoveFish

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I took a net test on www.testmy.net and the results i got was this.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 424 Kbps about 0.42 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)
Download Speed is:: 52 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Server 1)
Test Time:: 2006/08/31 - 9:26pm
Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 19.69 sec
Tested from a 386 kB file and took 7.46 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 19.07 % of your hosts average (pacbell.net)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-CO0PLYVXU
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6 [!]

It was very very slow to the typical speed of DSL, which is what ive got. i use windows XP, 2 wire connection, the computer im using right now is wireless on a router and my xbox 360 is on a wireless router, which seems to be extremly slow also (it takes me 5-10 hours to download a demo, which should take an hour tops), ive had this problem for a while now but it is starting to get really old, it takes minutes to get on a webpage and to start up my computer. Any help is appreciated.

-LoveFish

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Have restarted your router and modem? Have you added anything new to your phone system like an alarm system or satelite tv? Have you unplugged all the phones and removed the filter from the DSL line and plugged it directly into the wall jack? Have tested the speed at your ISPs site (if they have one it's the one they want you to use)? Try a test at Speakeasy.net to see how it matches up to the one you ran. If none of that helps call your ISP and have them run test on their network and your circuit. There are many foctors involved in the speed of a internet connection but you should get at least 50% of the promoted bandwith and average 70-100% . They call it best effort service.