Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help, desktop icons and task bar are missing

• Please log in to reply

dennrk

dennrk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello.

Could somebody please help me?? everytime that I turn my pc on, the desktop icons dont appear, not even the task bar, nothing. :help:

I started to have this problem since the last time I downloaded system mechanic, and I was told to remove it and do a system restore in safe mode, which I did, and my pc worked again. but now, after a week, I turned my pc on and this started to happen again :whistling: n I did system restore again, and nothing. :blink:

Any tips or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

Win XP, Version 5.1 2600 SP2 Build 2600.
HP Pavilion 05
System Type x86 based PC
System Processor x86 family 6 Model 8 steppin 0 AuthenticAMD~1798

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the PC, press ctrl + alt + delete keys together when it gets to the desktop, if you get task manager, click file, new task, type explorer.exe and press enter

You should get the desktop, taskbar and icons

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

dennrk

dennrk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you very much. It worked =) :blink: . I just dont have the winXP cd, though... is it really important to run sfc and why?
And why my icons were missing?? :whistling:

Well, anyway, thank you again !! :help:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It happens :whistling:

If you click sfc /scannow in post 2 it gives an outline

You can borrow a same version XP CD to run it if you need to