Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply

dchord44

dchord44

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am using Windows 98SE. I don't have the option of re-installing the OS because I do not have the CD.

Every time I try to use Windows Explorer lately, the program performs an "illegal operation" and has to be shut down. This used to occur once in a great while but now is happening every time the program is running and sometimes when it isn't running.

In fact, I can't perform the most simple file maintenance operations now without getting the error message.

I have tried everything I can think of but the problem keeps getting worse. Finally, I decided to try Dr Watson to see if I could get a clue as to how to deal with the problem. I put a shortcut to DRWATSON.EXE on my desktop, but the minute I tried to "open" it, I got the "illegal operation" message with the following details:

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:013832dc.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=016f EIP=013832dc EFLGS=00010202
EBX=0059f998 SS=0177 ESP=0059f948 EBP=0059f964
ECX=00880ff4 DS=0177 ESI=000089bc FS=2d87
EDX=000089d8 ES=0177 EDI=0059f94c GS=573f
Bytes at CS:EIP:

Stack dump:
bff7363b 00000d1c 0000001c 00000000 ffc0291d 8996310f 00000177 0059f978 bff94407 573f89bc 0000573f 00000000 bff719b8 005989b6 0059ff68 bff7186d

Thanking you in advance for any help you can offer.

... Pirate

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Pirate
Can you start your computer and start tapping the F8 key.
When you get the screen with the options on how to start the computer
choose DOS Prompt only. this should give you the c:> prompt. If it is not the c:> prompt then change to c:>
At the dos prompt type in C:> dir/p ENTER this will give a listing of files one page at a time.We are looking for the explorer.exe if you see the file then.
c:>ren c:\explorer.exe explorer.old ENTER.
Make sure you are at the C:> and not C\windows>

Peterm

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for the help ... I have entered DOS mode and pulled a file listing. However, there is no "explorer.exe" in the root directory.

There is a file "explorer.exe" in the Windows directory. Should I rename that one -- leaving it in the Windows directory?

You said to rename the file and hit "enter." After I do that, do I then need to re-boot?

thx
Pirate

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
No not the windows one that has to stay

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
The "explorer.exe" in the Windows directory is the only one on the computer, I'm afraid. There isn't one in the root directory for me to rename.

I appreciate the suggestion, though. Any other ideas?

Pirate

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Pirate
In my sig there is a link to tuneup trial please download that and run the registry cleaner (on the second tab) then run the registry defrag on the optimize & improve tab. If you can't get it to run then boot to safe mode.
Start the computer and start tapping F8 when you get the startup selection screen choose safe mode then try tuneup trail
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 02 September 2006 - 03:36 PM.

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Peterm ...........

I did as you suggested and am hoping for the best. The registry needed some attention anyway but I have been reluctant to tackle it because tinkering with it can be complicated and so hazardous.

Anyway, I ran the scans and so far it doesn't look I've damaged anything. As for the recurring "illegal operation" notice, I haven't seen it yet. So far, so good ....

Many thanks.

the Pirate

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Pirate
Lets keep our fingers X
It is best not to tinker with the registry. Some programs can muck them up but I got this one from one our guys (Keith) and had checked it out before putting it in my sig.

Cheers
Peterm

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, I guess we can uncross our fingers. I got the "illegal operation" notice twice more.

It happens most frequently when I have Win Explorer running but it can appear suddenly and "terminate" other programs, including my internet browsers.

But everything else seems ok. The TuneUp apparently resolved a long-standing boot-up problem.

Pirate

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Pirate I found both of these on our site
1)had this same problem and error message from explorer only when closing it. there is a folder under windows call APPLOG, either rename it or delete it and then reboot, windows will create a new one when you reboot. ( one of the files windows is trying to write to in that folder is corrupt.) Windows will just create new ones. this cured my problem entirely.
2)rename comctl32.dll. To do this we will have to 1st get a new copy of
comctl32.dll

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts

Every time I try to use Windows Explorer lately, the program performs an "illegal operation" and has to be shut down

You don't mean the internet explorer do you ?

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Good morning!

Replying to your last message: I am referring to Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.

I will try the APPLOG procedure, as suggested.

What is comctl32.dll ... I am assuming that my copy of this file may be corrupted. Would there be a fresh copy available somewhere on the 'net?

thanks,
Pirate

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Yes there is and if the applog does not work then I will give you a link

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
The APPLOG suggestion prove useless, as there is no folder by that name in Windows or anywhere else on my hard drive.

Pirate

dchord44

dchord44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Howdy, Peterm ...

The situation here is deteriorating. I can hardly perform any operation now that doesn't end abruptly in an error message and an abrupt termination of the program I'm running.

You mentioned comctl32.dll and that you had a link that would help me.

Help !!

Pirate