Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error code 10 sata setup!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

fokkentaters

fokkentaters

• Pip
  • 5 posts
howdy.

i just bought a 200gb sata drive, and plugged it in. checked the bios and all looked well (sata=enabled etc...). got into windows and it didnt show the drive... i checked out the drivers and device manager shows a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark next to my VIA SATA RAID CONTROLLER. i checked the properties of this and it tels me the device cannot start (error code 10). i tired reformat but didnt work. i tried disconecting all other drives then trying to install xp on the sata drive... didnt work. i was wondering if any one could help me out with this as i have no idea anymore.... :whistling:

thanx

nick

Advertisements

fokkentaters

fokkentaters

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
mmmm allright. i sorta fixed the problem. read somewhere that due to the age of my motherboard (2 yrs??) it wouldnt handle the new sata2 drives or soemthing, so i had to change the jumpers on it. so yeah, on startup the computer now recognizes it. but, i get into windows and it wont show the drive in my computer... im still fiddling, so im open to any suggestions if someone knows how to help? would be greatly appreciated.

thanx

nick

fokkentaters

fokkentaters

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
howdy again...

i have realised i am the smartest person alive... thank you, thank you... solved the problem of not being able to see the hard drive by doing this: "GO To Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management Utility and there you should SEE your SATA listed but not initialized or assigned a drive letter... except from here i right click on my drive and set it up from there.... (format, assign letter etc.)

i apologise for my self problem solving post, that was most likely in the wrong category... but it may help someone...

thanx

nick