Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reclaiming c:drive after removing win98 on dualboot PC

• Please log in to reply

anykey

anykey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I want to tidy up the position after having dualboot setup :whistling:

I used to have a dualboot setup with Win98SE and XP Pro. I have two hard drives. The C:drive had win98. The D:drive has XP.

I no longer use win98, and I have removed it and everything else from the c:drive. Everything, that is, except those three key files: NTDetect.com, boot.ini, and ntldr. They sit happily on their own in the c:drive.

I have left things like this for some months, however now I want make the drive with XP my c:drive and free up the other hard disc that used to have win98 (I might replace it latter for a larger disc)

Now how do I do this?

Has anyone ever done this exercise themselves. How did it go. How did you achieve it. And did it work???

One idea I have is to copy those three key files into the root of the D:drive, and then get Partition Magic's Drive Mapper to cause drive letters to change.

Firstly by changing c:drive to something like n:drive, and then changing d:drive to c. How risky is that. Or perhaps there is a recommended way to do it. (Google didn't come up with the answer)

What do you folk think...

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You can't remap or re-assign a different drive letter to a drive which contains your active operating system (in your case, drive D which contains windows XP. Not without introducing the possibility of errors and referencing problems.

My advice is to re-install Windows XP from scratch on to the existing C drive if you want to avoid a headache.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I would swap the drives over and change the jumpers so the xp drive is now the master with slave then jumper the current 98 drive to be slave drive.
unless they are set for cable select then you don't have to play with the jumpers. this should cause xp to be c drive
and it should boot.
the easy way to test is when you are sure the xp drive is set as master or cable select plug it in only and boot.If your drives share the one Ribbon cable then make sure that the plug that is in the 98 drive is plugged into the XP drive.
If your hard drives are not using cable select already then you will have to change the bios information
Cheers
Peterm

anykey

anykey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you peterm :whistling: