Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

clicking avi, mp3... file causes explorer.exe to crash

• Please log in to reply

nenitz

nenitz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Help needed!

Every time I select (one click) a .mp3 or .avi file the windows explorer
crashes. (message pops up, saying that it will be closed and needs
restarting).

any ideas what's gone wrong? :whistling:

tnx.

Advertisements

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Help needed!

Every time I select (one click) a .mp3 or .avi file the windows explorer
crashes. (message pops up, saying that it will be closed and needs
restarting).

any ideas what's gone wrong? :whistling:

tnx.

This could be a shell extenson problem or maybe even a codec issue. There is a program called ShellexView that you could use to try & find out if possibly a shell extension is causing your crashes. I had this same thing happen to me about 2 months ago from trying to open bigger files(500+mb). I didn't have a shell problem but this can be used to at least eliminate that part. My problem was caused by a registry entry in which was allowing the "preview" option for big files like avi,mpg,etc. I don't have the direct link to d/l the program for viewing the shell extensions but you can Google that for the link(s). When you begin to use that program remember to only disable one extension at a time to see if that helps you pinpoint the problem. Thanks! :blink:

Edited by Tone Loc, 01 September 2006 - 09:11 AM.

nenitz

nenitz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I really don't know what exacty to disable with this prog.

I found WMPlayer, disable it... no changes...what else should I disable??
Do I have to restart afterwards?

BTW, how did you solve your problem with reg. entry?

tnx.

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

I really don't know what exacty to disable with this prog.

?Do I have to restart afterwards

tnx.

What you can do is disable the non-Microsoft items one at a time to see if possibly one or more of these could be the problem.

Do I have to restart afterwards?

In most cases a restart isn't required to fix the problem(s).

Right now I can't remember what key that I had to edit/remove but I'll go back & find the artivle link in which help me fix my issue. Now, this may not be the problem that is applied to your situation though. Is this happening with both small & big files or is it isolated to certain files? There are quite a few things that this could be so messing with the registry isn't a good thing unless you know how to do this safely. I'll get back later with that link for ya to take a look at. If you wanna PM me with more details of your problem then feel free to do so. Also, take a look at your "Events Viewer" from your PC to see what error is getting reported with these crashes. That could help pinpoint the problem much better. If you don't know how then do this:

Start>Control Panel>Performance & Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Under System Tools click on Event Viewer. There are options for "Security,Antivirus,Application,& System". The error could be in any of those areas but more than likely under either System or Application. You can either copy & paste the error into this thread or send it to me in a PM. I'll see what I can come up with! Thanks! :whistling:

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Did you get the problem figured out yet? If not then feel free to reply back with what you have done. Thanks! :whistling: